[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD8.0 does not boot off USB disk

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Mar 2 00:08:46 PST 2010

On 03/01/2010 20:16, Productnews wrote:
> I run several OS's on an add-on USB disk, and Galileo works fine, so
> there is nothing wrong with this HW configuration.
> I just did a fresh install of Hubble on a slice of the USB disk - the
> installation was uneventful, but when I boot, the kernel comes up and
> does not see the USB disk (no da0* devices). I observed the same thing
> on RC2, but was too late to report.
> Is there a config param missing?
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Harald

Harald,

It sounds more to me like the new USB drivers in FreeBSD 8.0 aren't
working properly with either your chipset, or this specific USB disk.

If you can throw a copy of FreeBSD 8 on the system, go ahead and send
"dmesg" output over to the PR system, or to the FreeBSD USB mailing list
so that they can get a look at whats failing:

http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html

http://www.pcbsd.com