[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD8.0 does not boot off USB disk

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Mar 2 00:08:46 PST 2010

On 03/01/2010 20:16, Productnews wrote:
> I run several OS's on an add-on USB disk, and Galileo works fine, so
> there is nothing wrong with this HW configuration.
> I just did a fresh install of Hubble on a slice of the USB disk - the
> installation was uneventful, but when I boot, the kernel comes up and
> does not see the USB disk (no da0* devices). I observed the same thing
> on RC2, but was too late to report.
> Is there a config param missing?
> Thanks and regards
> Harald

It sounds more to me like the new USB drivers in FreeBSD 8.0 aren't
working properly with either your chipset, or this specific USB disk.

If you can throw a copy of FreeBSD 8 on the system, go ahead and send
"dmesg" output over to the PR system, or to the FreeBSD USB mailing list
so that they can get a look at whats failing: