[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD & iphone

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Tue Jun 29 11:29:40 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 01:05:49PM -0500, WI SynOil wrote:
>    Is there a VM that allows USB connectivity?  That would be one way.

I don't believe any of the VM's will support the USB. James Nixon tried
several times with iTunes in Wine here at the office. It worked, kind
of, but organizing his music files in iTunes resulted in ruining all the
files and rendering them unplayable.

Josh Paetzel says that he can sync his iPhone using Amarock and
audio/libgpod.

-matt

>    On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
>
>      On 06/29/2010 12:11, Ian Robinson wrote:
>
>          Ian Robinson wrote:
>

>          After an iPhone is connected to the usb socket of the computer, how
>          do you
>          existing iPhone users connect the iPhone to PCBSD?
>
>          (1)  What do you use in PCBSD to access iTunes (create an account,
>          buy
>          items, etc?) when Apple says its iTunes software is for Windows and
>          Mac?
>
>      Well, you kinda answered the question there. iTunes is for Windows and
>      Mac. You can try running it via Wine, but I'm guessing the USB stuff
>      wont work, but the app store might.
>
>          (2)  How do you otherwise transfer information between the iPhone to
>          PCBSD?
>
>      Found this thread:
>
>      http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=14197
>
>          (3)  Can you mount the iPhone like a usb disk drive?
>
>          Excerpt from dmesg when plugged into usb socket:
>
>          uaudio0: <Apple Inc. iPhone, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2> on
>          uhub4
>          uaudio0: audio rev
>          1.00
>
>          pcm1: <USB Audio> on
>          uaudio0
>
>          uhid0: <Apple Inc. iPhone, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2> on
>          uhub4
>
>        The previous dmesg excerpt came from PCBSD 7.01.  The following
>        excerpt comes from PCBSD 8.1-RC1 dmesg:
>
>        ugen1.2: <Apple Inc.> at usbus1
>
>        Ian Robinson
>        Salem, Ohio
>
>      Is there a way to export the iphones flash disk to show up as a mass
>      storage device? I don't have one here, so I can't say for sure. My droid
>      does that and it works fine in BSD :)
>
>  --
>  Kris Moore
>  PC-BSD Software
>  iXsystems

>    --
>    Andy White
>    Owner
>    AeroCleanse, LLC
>    Mobile Detailing Service
>    Authorized Dealer for
>    1Z-einszett, System 51, HD Car Care, Sonus and Ultima
>    920-215-1414

Matt Olander
CTO, iXsystems - "Servers for Open Source"  http://www.iXsystems.com
Public Relations, The FreeBSD Project         http://www.FreeBSD.org
BSD on the Desktop!                             http://www.pcbsd.org
Phone: (408)943-4100 ext. 113                     Fax: (408)943-4101