[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1-RC1 Oddness and one out of place icon

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Jun 28 08:29:19 PDT 2010

On 06/25/2010 10:49 AM, Arthur Koziol wrote:
> On 06/25/2010 10:36 AM, Kris Moore wrote:
>> On 06/25/2010 10:54, Arthur Koziol wrote:
>>> X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
>>>   Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
>>>   Resource id:  0x4a0002b
>>> Failed to initialize GEM.  Falling back to classic.
>>> kscreenlocker(2976) LockProcess::stayOnTop: Window above
>>> screensaver, raising, erasing
>>> do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working
>>> correctly.
>>> Try adjusting the vblank_mode configuration parameter.
>>> Failed to initialize GEM.  Falling back to classic.
>>> X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
>>>   Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
>>>   Resource id:  0x4a0001f
>>> Failed to initialize GEM.  Falling back to classic.
>>> kscreenlocker(32553) LockProcess::stayOnTop: Window above
>>> screensaver, raising, erasing
>>> do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working
>>> correctly.
>>> Try adjusting the vblank_mode configuration parameter.
>>> kxkb: Fatal IO error: client killed
>>> ksmserver: Fatal IO error: client killed
>>
>> Arthur,
>>
>> The lines above make it seems like its the screensaver /
>> kscreenlocker which is failing, maybe because of the intel driver?
>>
>> Couple of things to try, if you disable the screensaver completely,
>> does it still crash? How about if you pick a 2D only screen saver?
>
> Kris,
>
> I'll give it a shot with a 2D screensaver and see what happens. My bet
> is on the Intel driver and GEM though. I saw the GEM-related messages
> in the error section. A lot of the GEM stuff got fixed in the 2.8.0
> driver onward so I bet GEM has something to do with it as well. Man,
> the 2.12 drivers are out now too and they are supposed to be a huge
> performance boost. Too bad we're stuck on 2.7.1. Argh!
>
> Will try some things and see if I can break it.

Kris,

Well, try as I might, I cannot get it to crash using a non-GL
screensaver (Goop) . I tried 5 times in a row and it did not kick me out
to the login prompt. So maybe it's the GL screensaver, GL in general,
the Intel driver, or a combo of the three. My bet is on the Intel driver
though. I'm not going to explore this any further as I am satisfied with
my conclusions.

Arthur