[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.1 RC1 x64 installation experience

rascal rascal at tiscali.cz
Thu Jun 24 09:19:44 PDT 2010

On 24.6.2010 15:41, Mike Bybee wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 6:22 AM, Mike Bybee <mbybee at dometrilogy.com
> <mailto:mbybee at dometrilogy.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Alexander Yerenkow
>     <yerenkow at uct.ua <mailto:yerenkow at uct.ua>> wrote:
>
>         22.06.2010 22:46, rascal пишет:
>
>     I think the real trick here is less that we can use dd with better
>     options, more that we really should make a wrapper tool available
>     and easily accessible. For example, I am completely addicted to
>     remastersys and the Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator.
>

> Tried this with the specified bs=1m, and the PC-BSD image is
> definitely very slow. I think it's mainly due to the image size, though.
I tried piping dd through pv (pipe viewer) and the speed was very
variable. It shows speed and data transferred. Sometimes many MB/s,
sometimes just a few kB/s (on ubuntu). No idea why. Oh, the system
performance graph applet show lot of (full graph, so almost 100%) IOWait
activity, maybe it helps.
of course I did it with bs=1M
I'm not an expert but I thought that writing 1M block should be pretty
fast (my stick writes around 9MB/s), when I write image using win32
imager, it's fast all the time.
since dd works in a low level (not sure how low though ;) ) and not in
filesystem level I thought it will comparably fast. It's well known that
copying many small files to flash drives is slow, so working in low
level should avoid it. But no, it's slow anyway.
It would be nice to figure out some setup which would help the speed up.

>             2)It takes quite long time to boot from flash drive (now
>             maybe my flash drive is slow at this, I don't know, but
>             it's supposed to be fast one). But I guess those modules
>             (included wireless) are needed for the live cd mode, so
>             they have to be loaded anyway.
>
>         Well, it's slowly boots nowadays from CD/DVD too.
>

>     I do this a lot, but I never tried comparing the boot times linux
>     vs BSD. I'll do this and see how big a difference there is. I know
>     PC-BSD is quite a lot slower than Ubuntu, but not sure if it's a
>     minute or two or like 10. I'll report on it.
>

> Ok, comparisons on the same machine (both with the same 10s wait
> prompt, so I am removing it from the values), on the same system with
> the same Sony 16GB USB flash drive.
> Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop x86: ~35 seconds
> PC-BSD 8.1 RC 1 x86: ~90 seconds
> This is stopwatch time, 4 tests each. There was very little variance
> in the boot results.
>
> So yes - PC-BSD does boot much slower.

The booting time was just a general complain to see if it's just my
laptop or if others have the same too. Although it's not perfect, I
think it's one time activity, so it does not bother the average user,
who install the system just once in a while.

>             That's all for now, expect another similar email with
>             post-installation comments.
>
>             foxx

>     --
>     Thanks,