[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.1 RC1 x64 installation experience

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Thu Jun 24 06:41:33 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 6:22 AM, Mike Bybee <mbybee at dometrilogy.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow at uct.ua>wrote:
>
>> 22.06.2010 22:46, rascal пишет:
>>
>> I think the real trick here is less that we can use dd with better
> options, more that we really should make a wrapper tool available and easily
> accessible. For example, I am completely addicted to remastersys and the
> Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator.

Tried this with the specified bs=1m, and the PC-BSD image is definitely very
slow. I think it's mainly due to the image size, though.

>>  2)It takes quite long time to boot from flash drive (now maybe my flash
>>> drive is slow at this, I don't know, but it's supposed to be fast one). But
>>> I guess those modules (included wireless) are needed for the live cd mode,
>>> so they have to be loaded anyway.
>>>
>> Well, it's slowly boots nowadays from CD/DVD too.
>>

> I do this a lot, but I never tried comparing the boot times linux vs BSD.
> I'll do this and see how big a difference there is. I know PC-BSD is quite a
> lot slower than Ubuntu, but not sure if it's a minute or two or like 10.
> I'll report on it.

Ok, comparisons on the same machine (both with the same 10s wait prompt, so
I am removing it from the values), on the same system with the same Sony
16GB USB flash drive.
Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop x86: ~35 seconds
PC-BSD 8.1 RC 1 x86: ~90 seconds
This is stopwatch time, 4 tests each. There was very little variance in the
boot results.

So yes - PC-BSD does boot much slower.

That's all for now, expect another similar email with post-installation

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee