[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.1-RC1 Kernel Panic on boot

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 13:13:12 PDT 2010

HP Vectra VL420, P4 @ 2.0 GHz, 1.5 GHz RAM, nVidia FX5500
PCBSD 8.1-RC1 Kernel Panic on Reboot.

There is a kernel panic on boot up shortly after the PCBSD Welcome Screen
and immediately after the ZFS Server Pool version message and the
Timecounter frequency and Tick counter reports:

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address    = 0x797469
fault code        = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer    = 0x20:0xc1ab1a41
stack pointer        = 0x28:0xc1c20bec
frame pointer        = 0x28:0xc1c20bec
code segment        = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
            = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags    = interrupt enabled, resume IOPL = 0
current process        = 0 (swapper)
tran number         = 12

panic:  page fault
cpuid = 0
Uptime: 1s

Cannot dump.  Device not defined or unavailable

Automatic reboot in 15 seconds . . . etc, etc.

Comments:

1.  This computer was the subject of a previous report about the upgrade
freezing followed by spontaneous reboot.  (Kris -- You will remember telling
me afterward not to do a fresh install after a kernel panic.)

2.  I did a "fresh install" and it has worked fine for several days.

3.  Immediately before the kernel panic, the last thing I did was install
the Virtualbox PBI and rebooted.  The shutdown portion of the reboot was
normal and without incident.

4.  The kernel panic is repeatable 100% of the time.

5.  Toggling ACPI off makes no difference.

6.  Nor will it start in the safe mode.