[PC-BSD Testing] nVidia Legacy Driver Issues

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 11:57:42 PDT 2010

 On 06/21/2010 13:55, Ian Robinson wrote:
 > Testing PCBSD 8.1-RC1 on HP Vectra PIII, 1.0 GHz, 512 Mb RAM,
 > nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 64Mb AGP 4x
 >
 > I think these are nVidia issues but I'm reporting them anyway just in
 > case because I did not have these issues under PCBSD 8.0.
 >
 > The PCBSD video installer picked the correct nVidia driver and display
 > settings appropriate for the monitor.  The video driver is nVidia
 > 96.43.16.  Desktop effects have been set to off.
 >
 > There are frequently minor pixels on the desktop that trail after a
 > desktop icon.  They are so small and occupy so little of the screen
 > that they are insignificant.
 >
 > However, the screen will occasionally leave a colored or a black
 > rectangle the size of the closed window on the screen until a few
 > seconds pass or until you overlay the screen with another program.
 > On one occasion I had the entire screen go black on black for approx.
 > 45 seconds, then miraculously return to normal.
 >
 > Additionally, the display dims with a light blue overcast and then
 > lightens.  If you were to jump over to console, the letters on the
 > screen are a pale blue against a black background.  After a while, the
 > colors will jump back to their normal state.  On the console, that
 > would be a pale white/very light grey against a black background.
 >

 > Ian Robinson
 > Salem, Ohio

 That does sound like a driver bug :(

 Can you confirm by switching to "nv" and making sure you don't see any
 corruption? If so, you'll want to give nvidia a ping about this:

 http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

 On their forum they have instructions for submitting bug reports, with
 the details they need.

Kris --

I could not install the "nv" driver or the "nouveau" driver.

I went with "vesa" and have had no problems of the type described above.

I sure like the 8.1 series.  Perhaps its the improved KDE 4.4, but
things are much faster.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio