[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.1-RC1 spontaneous reboot during upgrade

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jun 21 11:14:00 PDT 2010

On 06/21/2010 14:10, Ian Robinson wrote:
> This report is unrelated to any of my prior posts because this is on a
> different computer.
>
> Testing PCBSD 8.1-RC1 on an HP Vectra VL420, P4 @ 1.6 GHz, 1.5 GHz
> RAM, nVidia GeForce 5 Series w/ 256 Mb RAM.
>
> I was doing an upgrade over top of PCBSD 8.0.  I was also running top
> in an x-term terminal.  The installer was going through the process of
> removing the 8.0 packages and had not reached the point where the
> installation progress bar begins to display.  About ten minutes of
> operation into the upgrade as measured by the clock counter in top
> (i.e., measuring from boot-up), the system locked as shown by no
> activity in the installer, or in top, and mouse cursor would not
> move.  Then the computer spontaneously rebooted.
>
> Subsequent retries to "upgrade" all resulted in spontaneous reboots.
> Attempts to start the system failed because key packages had been
> removed by this point.  I had to start a fresh install.  No harm done
> as all important data was backed up before beginning the upgrade.
>
> There is great merit to having the installer report its activities to
> the user, and even when they fly by so fast you cannot always read
> them, you do get a sense to what is going on.
>
> Ian Robinson
> Salem, Ohio

Doh! Please don't re-install from scratch until you report something in :)

This sounds like a kernel panic, and we'll need to see if we can find
what the error is exactly. For future reference, the way to do this is such:

* Start install
* Switch to "console" with Ctrl-Alt-F1

Monitor the console for any kernel messages. When the kernel panics, it
should give you 15 seconds to press a key to pause the auto-reboot. If
you can, take a pic of the panic message, or send the details over by
transcribing them. That'll let us figure out if its a driver bug, kernel
bug, etc.