[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.1-RC1 spontaneous reboot during upgrade

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 11:10:39 PDT 2010

This report is unrelated to any of my prior posts because this is on a
different computer.

Testing PCBSD 8.1-RC1 on an HP Vectra VL420, P4 @ 1.6 GHz, 1.5 GHz RAM,
nVidia GeForce 5 Series w/ 256 Mb RAM.

I was doing an upgrade over top of PCBSD 8.0.  I was also running top in an
x-term terminal.  The installer was going through the process of removing
the 8.0 packages and had not reached the point where the installation
progress bar begins to display.  About ten minutes of operation into the
upgrade as measured by the clock counter in top  (i.e., measuring from
boot-up), the system locked as shown by no activity in the installer, or in
top, and mouse cursor would not move.  Then the computer spontaneously
rebooted.

Subsequent retries to "upgrade" all resulted in spontaneous reboots.
Attempts to start the system failed because key packages had been removed by
this point.  I had to start a fresh install.  No harm done as all important
data was backed up before beginning the upgrade.

There is great merit to having the installer report its activities to the
user, and even when they fly by so fast you cannot always read them, you do
get a sense to what is going on.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio