[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.1-RC1 Legacy nVidia Problems

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 10:55:21 PDT 2010

Testing PCBSD 8.1-RC1 on HP Vectra PIII, 1.0 GHz, 512 Mb RAM,
nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 64Mb AGP 4x

I think these are nVidia issues but I'm reporting them anyway just in case
because I did not have these issues under PCBSD 8.0.

The PCBSD video installer picked the correct nVidia driver and display
settings appropriate for the monitor.  The video driver is nVidia 96.43.16.
Desktop effects have been set to off.

There are frequently minor pixels on the desktop that trail after a desktop
icon.  They are so small and occupy so little of the screen that they are
insignificant.

However, the screen will occasionally leave a colored or a black rectangle
the size of the closed window on the screen until a few seconds pass or
until you overlay the screen with another program.   On one occasion I had
the entire screen go black on black for approx. 45 seconds, then
miraculously return to normal.

Additionally, the display dims with a light blue overcast and then
lightens.  If you were to jump over to console, the letters on the screen
are a pale blue against a black background.  After a while, the colors will
jump back to their normal state.  On the console, that would be a pale
white/very light grey against a black background.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio