[PC-BSD Testing] Need help

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jun 21 05:52:52 PDT 2010

On 06/20/2010 17:53, WI SynOil wrote:
> Could be, but I never got it to work on 8.0 either.  I used the Java
> installs from PBI, maybe I'm doing it the wrong way.
>
> Andy
>
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Dru Lavigne <drulavigne at sympatico.ca
> <mailto:drulavigne at sympatico.ca>> wrote:
>

>     >The following link doesn't show Java correctly on PC-BSD 8.1Beta
>     1, 64bit:
>     http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=GRB&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes
>     <http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=GRB&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes>
>
>     I can confirm that it does work correctly on PC-BSD 8.0, 64 bit
>     using the same browser (firefox 3.6.3). Perhaps something broke
>     between 8.0 and 8.1?
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Dru

The java plugin is broken in the later firefox 3.6.x releases. If you go
to "about:plugins" in firefox, you'll see if java is even enabled or not.

Unfortunately its something we don't have control over at the moment.
This has been discussed in the mozilla lists for FreeBSD as well. Whats
going on is that in later FF releases, they bumped their plugin
API/protocol, and the version of Java for FreeBSD doesn't support it.
There is a openJDK project, but they don't have a working plugin yet
either :( So, we are stuck until Sun/Oracle gives us an updated plugin,
or OpenJDK gets one working.