Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 04:54:30 PDT 2010

Re:  On Upgrading Issues:

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 3:00 PM, in Testing Digest, Vol 41, Issue 9,

Ian Robinson said:

>> Going through the upgrade process was enlightening in that it was
>> completely different from my 1st upgrade.  Aside from selecting
>> "import existing desktop profile" option, this install did not require
>> me to create the root password or create users.
>>
>> How did this happen to me?  Well, I remember that the installation was
>> a PITA because I had no mouse.  Part way into the installation, I had
>> to do a "go back" to make a correction.  Somewhere along the line I
>> think I chose a "use entire disk" function.  My actions may have
>> corrupted the install choices and created a hybrid install routine
>> that messed everything up.  The other alternative is that I was messed
>> up, but we won't go there.

Kris Moore answered saying:

>Well, if you picked "use entire disk" at one point that is a regular
>install, not a upgrade :P

>If you can figure out how to duplicate getting this failure during and
>upgrade process, please let me know!
>
>--
>Kris Moore
===============================

Dear Kris --

I cannot duplicate the action except by one way -- and that way is operator
error.  When "going back" after choosing an  Upgrade Installation, one
cannot change to "use entire disk" unless you go back even further, choose a
"fresh install," and proceed forward from there.

RC-1 looks great.  I did an upgrade install over Beta-1 without issues, and
the video detection correctly found and installed the nVidia legacy card
(Ti4200).  All aspects of the desktop, the home directory, and the
configurations of previously installed PBI programs were preserved.  Src,
ports, and all the selected PBI's were installed.

The System Manager "General" tab reported as "8.1-BETA1" and so did the
diagnostic report.

Ian Robinson.