[PC-BSD Testing] Reply to Responses to No USB Wireless, No PBI, No Upgrade.

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Jun 11 07:24:50 PDT 2010

On 06/11/2010 00:18, Ian Robinson wrote:
> D.  and, now Ian confirms:
>
> The Upgrade function failed to install some PBI's.  When I re-did the
> upgrade over top of 8.1-Beta I had installed Opera and Firefox PBI's.
> These were two of several PBI's selected during the installation, and
> they were present on the reboot after completing installation.
> However, the upgrade installation routine failed to install any of the
> other selected PBI's (vlc, thunderbird, K3b, etc.).  The difference
> between the two situations is that the latter PBI's had not been
> installed prior to the new upgrade.

Fixed this for RC1, was a bug during the install routine, wasn't parsing
all the component choices :P

> D.  Now Ian says:
>
> After re-installing the Upgrade, it appears that selecting "import
> existing desktop profile" does preserve the existing PBI
> configurations and does save the contents of /home.
>
> Going through the upgrade process was enlightening in that it was
> completely different from my 1st upgrade.  Aside from selecting
> "import existing desktop profile" option, this install did not require
> me to create the root password or create users.
>
> How did this happen to me?  Well, I remember that the installation was
> a PITA because I had no mouse.  Part way into the installation, I had
> to do a "go back" to make a correction.  Somewhere along the line I
> think I chose a "use entire disk" function.  My actions may have
> corrupted the install choices and created a hybrid install routine
> that messed everything up.  The other alternative is that I was messed
> up, but we won't go there.

Well, if you picked "use entire disk" at one point that is a regular
install, not a upgrade :P

If you can figure out how to duplicate getting this failure during and
upgrade process, please let me know!