[PC-BSD Testing] 8.1-Beta - No USB Mouse, No PBI, No Upgrade

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jun 10 10:22:00 PDT 2010

On 06/10/2010 09:06, Ian Robinson wrote:
> Testing PCBSD 8.1-Beta i386 on HP Vectra VL400, PIII @ 1 GHz, 512 MB
> RAM, NVidia Ti 4200.
>
> A.  Installation.  Installation went smoothly and properly recognized
> and installed the nVidia card and the appropriate legacy driver.
> Display is crisp and clean, but there are a few speckles and very
> short thin lines occasionally corrupting the display.  They are
> insignificant.
>
> B.  Installation Problems.  The install did result in some minor problems:
>
> (1)  a USB wireless mouse would not function.  A cursor was visible on
> the screen but it would not move.  The system recognized the mouse
> during the boot probe and recognized when the mouse was removed from
> the USB port and reconnected.  Dmesg reported :
>
> ======= Excerpt from dmesg =============
> ugen0.2: <Wireless Mouse> at usbus0
> ums0: <Wireless Mouse Wireless Mouse, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.01, addr
> 2> on usbus0
> ums0: 5 buttons and [XYZ] coordinates ID=0
>               * * *
> ugen0.2: <Wireless Mouse> at usbus0 (disconnected)
> ums0: at uhub0, port 2, addr 2 (disconnected)
> ugen0.2: <Wireless Mouse> at usbus0
> ums0: <Wireless Mouse Wireless Mouse, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.01, addr
> 2> on usbus0
> ums0: 5 buttons and [XYZ] coordinates ID=0
> ==================================
>
> I substituted a PS/2 mouse in order to use the system.
>
> (2)  When I selected most of the PBI's, source, and ports during
> installation, the source and ports were installed but PBI's did not
> install.

I'm looking into this now, but this was during the upgrade again right?

> (3)  The upgrade function did not "upgrade."  It did not preserve the
> preexisting files in the /home directory files, or preserve the
> installed programs and their configuration settings.

Did you check the option to "import existing desktop profile" during the
install? By default the KDE4 config will be replaced with the default
unless you check this option. However, your other /usr/home/ data
shouldn't be touched, such as files, etc.

> C.  Positive Performance.  Performance presents as much improved over
> PCBSD 8.0.  The menus respond faster, the screens refresh faster, and
> there is no noticeable lag or hang that was present in 8.0.  An older
> machine like this is sensitive to such things of course, but I had
> experienced some lags with PCBSD 8.0 on a dual Xeon 3.4 GHz w/ 4 GB RAM.

Seems faster to me also, so thats a good sign!