[PC-BSD Testing] 8.1-Beta - No USB Mouse, No PBI, No Upgrade

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Thu Jun 10 06:14:31 PDT 2010

On 06/10/2010 8:06 AM, Ian Robinson wrote:
> Testing PCBSD 8.1-Beta i386 on HP Vectra VL400, PIII @ 1 GHz, 512 MB
> RAM, NVidia Ti 4200.
>
> A.  Installation.  Installation went smoothly and properly recognized
> and installed the nVidia card and the appropriate legacy driver.
> Display is crisp and clean, but there are a few speckles and very
> short thin lines occasionally corrupting the display.  They are
> insignificant.
>
> B.  Installation Problems.  The install did result in some minor problems:
>
> (1)  a USB wireless mouse would not function.  A cursor was visible on
> the screen but it would not move.  The system recognized the mouse
> during the boot probe and recognized when the mouse was removed from
> the USB port and reconnected.  Dmesg reported :
>
> ======= Excerpt from dmesg =============
> ugen0.2: <Wireless Mouse> at usbus0
> ums0: <Wireless Mouse Wireless Mouse, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.01, addr
> 2> on usbus0
> ums0: 5 buttons and [XYZ] coordinates ID=0
>               * * *
> ugen0.2: <Wireless Mouse> at usbus0 (disconnected)
> ums0: at uhub0, port 2, addr 2 (disconnected)
> ugen0.2: <Wireless Mouse> at usbus0
> ums0: <Wireless Mouse Wireless Mouse, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.01, addr
> 2> on usbus0
> ums0: 5 buttons and [XYZ] coordinates ID=0
> ==================================
>
> I substituted a PS/2 mouse in order to use the system.

I have seen this on some Dells I've used when I had a Microsoft Wireless
mouse and what I did to fix it was go into the BIOS and in the advanced
settings there I found an option called Enable Legacy USB Support (or
some such thing) and rebooted. It worked after that. Your mileage may
vary but see if your BIOS has such a thing. If not, see if there's any
BIOS update.

> (2)  When I selected most of the PBI's, source, and ports during
> installation, the source and ports were installed but PBI's did not
> install.
>
> (3)  The upgrade function did not "upgrade."  It did not preserve the
> preexisting files in the /home directory files, or preserve the
> installed programs and their configuration settings.
>
> C.  Positive Performance.  Performance presents as much improved over
> PCBSD 8.0.  The menus respond faster, the screens refresh faster, and
> there is no noticeable lag or hang that was present in 8.0.  An older
> machine like this is sensitive to such things of course, but I had
> experienced some lags with PCBSD 8.0 on a dual Xeon 3.4 GHz w/ 4 GB RAM.
>
> D.  This is one good Beta except for the few issues noted above.
>
> Ian Robinson
> Salem, Ohio

Arthur