[PC-BSD Testing] 8.1-Beta - No USB Mouse, No PBI, No Upgrade

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 06:06:59 PDT 2010

Testing PCBSD 8.1-Beta i386 on HP Vectra VL400, PIII @ 1 GHz, 512 MB RAM,
NVidia Ti 4200.

A.  Installation.  Installation went smoothly and properly recognized and
installed the nVidia card and the appropriate legacy driver.  Display is
crisp and clean, but there are a few speckles and very short thin lines
occasionally corrupting the display.  They are insignificant.

B.  Installation Problems.  The install did result in some minor problems:

(1)  a USB wireless mouse would not function.  A cursor was visible on the
screen but it would not move.  The system recognized the mouse during the
boot probe and recognized when the mouse was removed from the USB port and
reconnected.  Dmesg reported :

======= Excerpt from dmesg =============
ugen0.2: <Wireless Mouse> at usbus0
ums0: <Wireless Mouse Wireless Mouse, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.01, addr 2> on
usbus0
ums0: 5 buttons and [XYZ] coordinates ID=0
              * * *
ugen0.2: <Wireless Mouse> at usbus0 (disconnected)
ums0: at uhub0, port 2, addr 2 (disconnected)
ugen0.2: <Wireless Mouse> at usbus0
ums0: <Wireless Mouse Wireless Mouse, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.01, addr 2> on
usbus0
ums0: 5 buttons and [XYZ] coordinates ID=0
==================================

I substituted a PS/2 mouse in order to use the system.

(2)  When I selected most of the PBI's, source, and ports during
installation, the source and ports were installed but PBI's did not install.

(3)  The upgrade function did not "upgrade."  It did not preserve the
preexisting files in the /home directory files, or preserve the installed
programs and their configuration settings.

C.  Positive Performance.  Performance presents as much improved over PCBSD
8.0.  The menus respond faster, the screens refresh faster, and there is no
noticeable lag or hang that was present in 8.0.  An older machine like this
is sensitive to such things of course, but I had experienced some lags with
PCBSD 8.0 on a dual Xeon 3.4 GHz w/ 4 GB RAM.

D.  This is one good Beta except for the few issues noted above.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio