[PC-BSD Testing] Re. 8.1 Beta - version bump for libGL ?

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Jun 7 06:29:07 PDT 2010

> Hi All,
> Just curious to know if there is a reason that libGL is not being
> updated in this release. KDE, Xorg and Nvidia seem to have been. I
> would have thought libGL might be bumped to. Considering its is
> supposedly very important for those running ATI card under the radeon
> and radeonhd drivers not to mention other fixes(like, Assorted fixes
> to VMware SVGA gallium driver).
> From ----> http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3Aexperimental_3D
> "Mesa r600 driver was added in 7.6.1, however it it good idea to use
> 7.7 at least "
> According to the release notes for PC-BSD 8.1 beta. It still
> uses 7.4.4. Is this to avoid potential upgrade issues for users?
> Releases of libGL/Mesa
> http://www.mesa3d.org/
> From Mesa 7.5 Release Notes
> "Note that the Mesa project is no longer using odd/even version
> numbers to indicate development/stable releases. The so-called
> development releases have been fairly stable. If you're especially
> concerned with stability you should probably look for "point" releases
> such as 7.5.1 which will be a bug-fix release"
> Regards Jarrod

Jarrod,

I think what some of the holdup is due to the fact that a lot of Mesa
development is geared towards what's happening in Linux-land and
deprecation of HAL in favor of KMS, DRM and related stuff. KMS hasn't
made it's way to BSD-land (if ever) so I think BSD is still kind of
stuck with HAL and no KMS and proper DRM updates. As such, many of the
benefits of the most current drivers and packages the Linux folks are
using can't be taken advantage of, yet. A lot of what's in xorg and
server 1.8 and onward is favoring KMS and I think the work going into
the xf86 video drivers and Mesa is also deprecating HAL stuff in favor
of KMS too. Although you see Mesa as 7.4.4, it has snippets of 7.6.1
(and some updated libdrm stuff) in it but is not *officially* a full
7.6.1 release as it were. So it's just BSD not quite being caught up
with the times. I am surprised that with all the talk in the past years
of HAL deprecation coming from the xorg folks that the BSD developers
are not following suit to dump HAL in favor of some kind of similar KMS
strategy because support for HAL has been dieing for quite a while now
and KMS sans HAL is the direction everything is going. Maybe by 9.0, who
knows.

Arthur