[PC-BSD Testing] thoughts on fwbuilder

Dru Lavigne drulavigne at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 5 12:45:24 PDT 2010

What are the thoughts of using fwbuilder (http://www.fwbuilder.org) instead of the current GUI for 9.0? I suggest fwbuilder for the following reasons:

- it's mature, well documented, and fairly intuitive for new firewall users
- it means we don't have to create, debug and maintain our own utility (the current GUI is quite buggy)
- it supports pf, ipfw, ipf, iptables, Cisco ACLs, etc. (so people who like ipfw can use it on their PC-BSD system)
- it provides an interface similar to those seen in industry (e.g. Checkpoint), allowing users to learn one tool regardless of operating system or firewall
- the lead developer (Vadim) is responsive to change requests and likes to see fwbuilder being used by BSD users
- the port maintainer (Cy Schubert) is good at keeping the port up-to-date

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Dru