[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrade to 8.1 fails

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jul 28 10:35:32 PDT 2010

On 07/28/2010 12:41, Jeff wrote:
> What would prevent me from extracting a PBI?  I've seen this in the
> past and it was always something in the PBI that needed updating.  Did
> you download the latest PBI to try extracting?
>
> I restored the /usr/Programs directory and files, and my /usr/home
> directory.

Did you try that -text command I suggested? It sounds like its missing a
library to finish the PBI installation properly.

> From the bin directory for gimp:
>
> /media/disk2/program2/Gimp/bin# ./gimp-2.6
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0" not
> found, required by "gimp-2.6"
> Discovered that only a fraction of the files in /gimp... got copied -
> strange, because all I did was drag all the directory icons from one
> pane to another in Dolphin and told it to copy.  Not sure why some
> files made it but others didn't.
>
> Just recopied and overwrote the existing gimp directory and now it works.
>
> I think the problem with some of these PBIs is that I copied them over
> in the root version of Dolphin so that all the PBI files are owned by
> root/wheel.  I assume they should all be Jeff/Jeff so that they can
> find their config files in my home directory, right?  If I just chown
> all the files in the /usr/Programs directory I assume they will wake
> up and find the old config stuff in /home/Jeff.  Correct?
>
> Almost there!

PBIs are installed as "root:wheel", so thats normal. To test running
one, try this:

/usr/Programs/Gimp/.sbin/gimp

(Note the .sbin, that is the directory we use to execute PBI binaries,
it contains the wrapper for shared library support)