[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrade to 8.1 fails

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jul 28 06:03:41 PDT 2010

On 07/28/2010 02:03, Jeff wrote:
> Oops, I believe I accidentally deleted the Xorg.conf file in /home.
>
> System settings like fonts and color scheme didn't get applied.
> Firewall exceptions were all blown away.

Did you save / restore /etc/pf.conf?

> Oddly, the Xorg.conf file seemed to exist and then disappear again...
>
> MS True Type Fonts PB I is installed (from the old system) but not
> working in Firefox.  Same problem as before when I had to manually
> create symlinks and reinstall the PBI.  Can't do that now because the
> software manager isn't showing any PBIs.  Also the old symlink won't
> work because the fonts apparently have been moved - there is no
> /PCBSD/local... anymore.
>
> The Warden crashes with stderr: /libexc/ld-elf.so.1:
> /usr/local/lib/libXi.so: Undefined symbol "XESetWireToEventCookie"
> Locale: "en"
>
> Starting Gimp gives error: Stderr: /Programs/bin/gimp:
> /Programs/Gimp/bin/gimp: not found  Locale: "en"
> (13212)KIconCache::Private::themeDirsChanged: Theme directory has been
> modified
>
> Starting Kompozer failed: Stderr: :1: error: unexpected character `e',
> expected keyword - e.g. `style'
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libORBit-2.so.0: Undefined symbol
> "g_malloc0_n"
> Locale: "en"
>
> All the other PBIs work, but VLC isn't in the menu and can't be found
> in a app search with the menu updating tool.
>
> I can reinstall the failing PBIs, but I'm wondering just how stable
> this system is now.  Has anyone else reported any of this?
>
> Might be better to start over cleanly and reinstall all PBIs.  Ugh.
>
> ....Jeff

You mentioned something about /PCBSD/local, was this an upgrade from 8.0
-> 8.1 or 7.x -> 8.1?

If you are coming from 7.x then you should replace your PBIs. When you
move from a major release like 7 -> 8 or 8 -> 9, then binaries are no
longer 100% ABI compatible, and would explain those symbol errors you
are getting. In other words, PBIs for 7 run on 7.x, PBIs for 8 run on 8.x :)