[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrade to 8.1 fails

Jeff dejamuse at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 19:51:38 PDT 2010

Oh yeah, duh. /usr is a mount point not a directory...

Got all my files saved and installed 8.1 from scratch.

Copied over /usr/Programs and /usr/home

Some issues:

I copied over ../applnk icons but they don't appear in the menu or on the desktop.  Running the software update tool finds no installed apps.

On power down, system reports when writing entropy file "write failed - file system full"

After PCBSD desktop comes alive on power up, and after about 30 seconds the system is crunching away doing something that hangs the GUI for a while and eventually recovers.

Numlock doesn't default to on at power up.

None of the system settings, and preferences were re-instituted.

After the 5th or so restart, auto login stopped working, and now I CAN'T LOGIN!  I'm locked out.  I just get the "Welcome to pcbsd-1693" screen and the login box.  Refuses to recognize user and password.

I backed up the etc directory too.  Is there something in there I should copy over to get the system back the way it was?

Thanks, Jeff