[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrade to 8.1 fails

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Jul 27 10:32:34 PDT 2010

On 07/27/2010 13:01, Jeff wrote:
> I can't wait much longer to resolve this as this computer is my dev box.
>
> I don't mind starting over with a fresh install so long as I don't
> have to reinstall a zillion PBIs and add-ons for Firefox, plus myriad
> other system settings.
>
> I had backed up my home directory as well as the etc, and PROGRAMS
> directory.  Is that sufficient to start over and just move the
> contents of those directories over?  I just realized that PROGRAMS is
> nothing more than symlinks so that probably won't work, right?
>
> Thanks, Jeff

Yea, I don't think a kernel panic is going to be something we can fix
quickly. Maybe try with acpi disabled, and baring that you'll want to do
a fresh install.

If you backup your /usr/home and /usr/Programs directory though, that
should be be enough to bring all your apps back. Also grab
/usr/local/kde4/share/applnk for your PBI menu icons and such.

With that kernel panic, it may be a good idea to report it to the
FreeBSD folks so they can get a look at what may be causing the crash.

http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html