[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrade to 8.1 fails

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jul 26 09:36:19 PDT 2010

On 07/26/2010 12:21, Jeff wrote:
> Tried like seven times now.  Each time it spends about 5 min "cleaning
> up old filesystem" and then starts to remove packages.  Now just hits
> this file and spends 10 seconds crunching with no disk activity then
> reboots.  Odd that just removing a package would cause the kernel to
> fault.
>
> Is it possible the install CD is corrupt?  I didn't verify written
> data when I burned it. Tried using a USB stick first but didn't work.
> Just tried copying the image file directly to the USB stick but got an
> error that BIOS couldn't find the boot loader.
>
> Can I use a live CD to manually uninstall or delete that package?
>
> If so, which live CD is best and where do I find it?
>
> ...Jeff

You can try mounting the file-system manually via the command-prompt,
then "chroot" into the system and try to remove that package.

Another thing to check is see that actual kernel panic though. Try this,
start the upgrade, then hit "ctrl-alt-f1" and watch it. It should panic
and come up with some "press any key in 10 seconds to stop reboot". Stop
the reboot, and send over the actual panic info, maybe we can figure out
the issue :)