[PC-BSD Testing] Question about choosing motherboard for pcbsd 8.1 x64

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Tue Jul 20 06:02:04 PDT 2010

On 07/20/2010 5:07 AM, nr10232 at op.pl wrote:
> hi.
> I want to buy new motherboard - should i choose one with new chipset (AMD 890/850) or older model which i tested (with AMD 790/750)?
> I bought my m4a78t-e in 2009-march, but last issue (ahci problems) was solved very recently (8.1-beta1 or 8.1-rc1 works fine at last) and i don't want to have that problems again.
> regards,
> krzysiek

Krzysiek,

In reality, there isn't too much of a difference between 790FX and 890FX
save for USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 support. Hypertransport is still at 3.0.
The number of PCI Express lanes has gone up but that shouldn't make any
difference. The only difference is that SB850 updates the AHCI spec to
1.2 from 1.1. Although I have not read the release notes on FBSD 8.1
yet, I don't know if they put in SATA 6.0 and USB 3.0 support yet so my
guess is the worst that might happen is you'll be at SATA II and USB 2.0
level. We'll have to wait and see. I too am waiting to update my ancient
motherboard to one of the nice Gigabyte 890FX boards out there and join
the 21st century.

Arthur