[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 + ZFS

Johann Hugo jhugo at meraka.csir.co.za
Tue Jul 20 02:29:17 PDT 2010

On Thursday, July 15, 2010 04:49:17 pm Kris Moore wrote:
> On 07/14/2010 01:59, Bill Sun wrote:
> > I tried setting up my 2 disks with 1 SWAP partition each, in their own
> > slices on the disk.  So basically, each disk has 2 slices one for
> > SWAP, and the other for ZFS (ad0s1, ad0s2, ad1s1, ad1s2) .  However,
> > when I setup ad0s2 with ZFS mirror pool, I cannot add ad01s2 to the
> > pool.  It is not even displayed in the list.
> >
> > -Bill
>
> Yep, that was a problem, good news though, just fixed it in SVN for 8.1:
>
> http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/7220
>
> You'll be able to now select a slice / partition for inclusion into a
> zpool, so it'll be possible to do a setup like this:
>
> ad0s1 - MIRROR ZFS
> ad1s1 - MIRROR ZFS
> ad0s2 - SWAP
> ad1s2 - SWAP

Some  thoughts / ideas:

I was just wondering if one could accommodate more than one PCBSD installation
on the same zpool, or maybe have some data space that lives outside the PCBSD
installation on the same zpool, but that's untouched during an upgrade e.g.

zpool create tank0 mirror ad8p3 ad10p3

root at pcbsd-3181# zpool list
NAME    SIZE   USED  AVAIL    CAP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
tank0   290G   137G   153G    47%  ONLINE  -

zfs create tank0/PCBSD8.0-x64
zfs create tank0/PCBSD8.1-x64
zfs create tank0/movies

zpool set bootfs=tank0/PCBSD8.0-x64 tank0

zfs set mountpoint=legacy tank0
zfs set mountpoint=legacy tank0/PCBSD8.0-x64
zfs set mountpoint=legacy tank0/PCBSD8.1-x64
zfs set mountpoint=/movies tank0/movies

root at pcbsd-3181# zfs list
NAME                                 USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tank0                                 137G   149G    30K    /tank0
tank0/PCBSD8.0-x64      123G   149G   123G   legacy
tank0/PCBSD8.1-x64      6.45G   149G  6.45G  legacy
tank0/movies                   18K        149G  18K    /tank0/movies

Then when one can select which PCBSD installation you would like to upgrade or
boot from. This way one could try out an new distro fist, without any
influence on your current working system. You can also have an area for data
that can stay untouched during an upgrade or new install.

Just some stuff to think about.

Johann