[PC-BSD Testing] Some news for the NVidia folks out there regarding XOrg server 1.8 onward

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jul 19 12:31:51 PDT 2010

On 07/19/2010 15:17, Arthur Koziol wrote:
> I was kind of surprised by this news myself but maybe they'll have a
> change of heart later on from community pressure.
>

>   NVIDIA's Oldest Legacy Driver Will Not Gain New Support
>

>     Posted by Michael Larabel on July 18, 2010
>
> A few days back there was the release of two updated NVIDIA legacy
> drivers <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODQyMQ>
> for Linux, but only their newest legacy driver (they have three
> different legacy drivers at present) gained support for X.Org Server
> 1.8 <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=X+Server+1.8>.
> This support though is needed for the older NVIDIA drivers to operate
> on newer Linux distributions like Fedora 13 and openSUSE 11.3. On this
> Sunday evening we have now confirmation from NVIDIA that they have no
> plans on providing xorg-server 1.8 support for their oldest legacy
> driver.
>
> The NVIDIA 173.14.75 legacy driver released provides X.Org Server 1.8
> support so that those customers with GeForce 5 (FX) graphics cards can
> continue using the proprietary driver for 3D/OpenGL and XvMC video
> acceleration support when they update their X Server when updating
> their distributions. The other NVIDIA 96.43.18 legacy update provided
> some bug-fixes, but went without any server 1.8 support. NVIDIA though
> will be updating the 96.xx.xx driver in the future with this updated
> X.Org support.
>
> NVIDIA's Andy Ritger wrote to us, "Yes, we will eventually add xserver
> 1.8 support to the 96.xx.xx series. We do not plan to backport new X
> server support to the 71.xx.xx series." In other words, it's basically
> the end of the line for the NVIDIA 71.xx.xx Linux legacy driver.
>
> This is the driver for any customers with GeForce 3, GeForce 256, TNT
> / TNT2, Riva 128, Vanta, and Quadro 2 Pro graphics cards. This NVIDIA
> hardware is quite old so it shouldn't affect too many people, but
> those running such vintage hardware will have the only choice of
> switching over to using the Nouveau
> <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=Nouveau> graphics
> driver stack when updating their X.Org Server or Linux distribution.
> Those with GeForce 2 Go, GeForce 4 MX, GeForce 4 Go, and GeForce 4 Ti
> graphics cards still should be getting this new support within the
> 96.xx.xx driver, but you may have to wait a while.

This really doesn't surprise me a whole lot. Its got to be a total pain
in the rear to maintain those old drivers, especially at the rate at
which linux / xorg is changing and breaking old functionality. At some
point it makes more sense to just pick up a Geforce 7200 for about $25 :P

I think the real shame here is the lack of backwards compatibility in
linux / xorg. Instead of providing a way for older binaries to continue
to operate, each new release of xorg-server demands a new driver to
support it. At the rate of xorg / linux changes, that would be the same
as needing a new driver almost yearly on Windows as well.