[PC-BSD Testing] 8.1 RC1 Issues

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jul 14 06:31:53 PDT 2010

On 07/14/2010 01:53, Bill Sun wrote:
> Hi Kris,
>
> That worked beautifully!  And listening to the sounds from PC-BSD is a
> thing of a beauty!  The sound coming from my Audigy2 card has a much
> higher fidelity than those that I have ever heard in a Linux
> distribution.  And for some reasons, I feel like it sounds even better
> than in my Windows 7, with official drivers!  The highs and lows are
> more clear, and the details, more defined.  I haven't run into any
> crackling or stutters yet in my short time testing multimedia, but I'm
> keeping my fingers crossed.
>
> I'm curious as to what does the "System Settings" - > "Multimedia"
> dialog's order of sound device preference supposed to do?  One would
> think that it would use the top most output device first before
> delegating to the rest of the list.
>
> -Bill

In theory that multimedia box should let you pick the different sound
card to use, but I don't think its been fully ported to work properly on
BSD as of yet, which is why we still need to set the sysctl for the
default audio. (It may be a OSS vs ALSA thing as well)

Glad to hear it works nicely though!!