[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 + ZFS

Johann Hugo jhugo at meraka.csir.co.za
Tue Jul 13 11:44:49 PDT 2010

On Tuesday, July 13, 2010 05:02:41 pm Kris Moore wrote:
> On 07/10/2010 07:51, Johann Hugo wrote:
> > Looking at the log, it appears to be doing
> >
> >> something a bit weird, trying to format ada1 twice,
> >
> > Saw that.
> >
> >> which makes me think
> >> its a configuration problem, possibly something the GUI did wrong.
> >
> > Or something weird that I did :-)
> >
> > Johann
>
> Ok, I looked at your config, and I see the problem now:
>
> disk0-part=ZFS 1412874 / (mirror: ad11)
>
> This is telling the installer to use the entire disk "ad11" for the ZFS
> mirror, however later in the config file you have this:
>
> # Disk Setup for ad11
> disk1=ad11
> partition=ALL
> bootManager=bsd
> commitDiskPart
>
> # Partition Setup for ad11(ALL)
> # All sizes are expressed in MB
> # Avail FS Types, UFS, UFS+S, UFS+J, ZFS, SWAP
> # UFS.eli, UFS+S.eli, UFS+J.eli, ZFS.eli, SWAP.eli
> disk1-part=SWAP 17920 none
> commitDiskLabel
>
> This is trying to setup another SWAP partition on ad11, which of course
> can't be there when you've already told the installer to use ad11 for the
> entire zfs mirror.

I though I would create a SWAP partition (of the same size) on both disks and
then later on use gmirror to mirror the two SWAP partitions.

 I've done this on some other servers before. Both disks have the same size
SWAP and ZFS partitions. Then I use gmirror for the SWAP spaces and ZFS mirror
for the ZFS partitions.

> The solution would be to maybe create some MBR partitions on ad11 via the
> GUI, and select the first to be the ZFS mirror (ad11s1), and the second to
> be SWAP (ad11s2). You could do the same for ad8 as well, to keep them
> identical. So that ad8s1 and ad11s1 would mirror each other.

I think I understand the GUI better now.

Johann