[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 + ZFS

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Jul 13 08:02:41 PDT 2010

On 07/10/2010 07:51, Johann Hugo wrote:
> Looking at the log, it appears to be doing
>> something a bit weird, trying to format ada1 twice,
>>
> Saw that.
>

>> which makes me think
>> its a configuration problem, possibly something the GUI did wrong.
>>
> Or something weird that I did :-)
>
> Johann

Ok, I looked at your config, and I see the problem now:

disk0-part=ZFS 1412874 / (mirror: ad11)

This is telling the installer to use the entire disk "ad11" for the ZFS mirror, however later in the config file you have this:

# Disk Setup for ad11
disk1=ad11
partition=ALL
bootManager=bsd
commitDiskPart

# Partition Setup for ad11(ALL)
# All sizes are expressed in MB
# Avail FS Types, UFS, UFS+S, UFS+J, ZFS, SWAP
# UFS.eli, UFS+S.eli, UFS+J.eli, ZFS.eli, SWAP.eli
disk1-part=SWAP 17920 none
commitDiskLabel

This is trying to setup another SWAP partition on ad11, which of course can't be there when you've already told the installer to use ad11 for the entire zfs mirror.

The solution would be to maybe create some MBR partitions on ad11 via the GUI, and select the first to be the ZFS mirror (ad11s1), and the second to be SWAP (ad11s2). You could do the same for ad8 as well, to keep them identical. So that ad8s1 and ad11s1 would mirror each other.