[PC-BSD Testing] 8.1 RC1 Issues

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jul 12 13:35:36 PDT 2010

On 07/11/2010 01:09, Bill Sun wrote:
> I am running into some issues with my RC1 installation:
>
>    1. I have some trouble with sound on my RC1 installation.  Sound
>       does work.  But I have 2 sound devices.  One is the on-board HDA
>       sound, and another is my Audigy2 ZS card.  Both work in
>       osstest.  But in Phonon, I cannot get the sound to output to
>       Audigy2.  Under the "Multimedia" settings I have moved the
>       Audigy2 card to the top of the list.  But I cannot get any sound
>       output to it.  I can only get sound output to my HDA, is there
>       any way to make sound work with my Audigy2 card in KDE?

We probably need to set the sysctl hw.snd.default_unit to 1-3 or
something. Can you post output of "cat /dev/sndstat"?

>    1. In "System Settings" -> "Advanced" -> "Samba", the configuration
>       screen is read-only.  It should probably ask for administration
>       password like when you access it from "Launcher" ->
>       "Applications" -> "Samba Manager".

Thats a bug in system-settings. However, you can use the other shortcut:

Start -> Applications -> System -> Samba manager

>    1. I can't seem to install fonts from "System Settings" -> "Font
>       Installer".  When I navigate to the directory with the .otf file
>       in the "Add" dialog box, I cannot see the file, hence I cannot
>       install it.

What format is ".otf"? I know .ttf / .pcf works, but .otf may be some
unknown format.

>    1. NTFS file systems cannot be mounted.  Or more precisely, my NTFS
>       formatted USB hard disk cannot be mounted in dolphin.  I know
>       this can be done using ntfs-3g, but I'm hoping that this is
>       installed and configured by default.

Is there any error message when trying to mount it?

> Overall, I am quite impressed with PC-BSD 8.1 RC1.  The fit and finish
> is much better than the Kubuntu 9.10 installation that is upgraded
> from Ubuntu that I was using before I wiped it out for PC-BSD.  Most
> of the defaults are sensible and I like the fact that there's custom
> artwork in the custom theme.  With the more permissible license that
> is BSD, the out-of-the-box experience is much better and practical
> than the one I experienced with Ubuntu (Nvidia binary driver installed
> on first boot, no additional codec installation to view my video
> files, printer installation was a breeze).  First impressions are
> good, and even though I still had some sound problems, it's nothing
> compared to the sound problems I had on Linux.
>
> -Bill

Glad its working! Hopefully we can resolve these other issues for you :)