[PC-BSD Testing] 8.1 RC1 Issues

Bill Sun billksun at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 22:09:42 PDT 2010

I am running into some issues with my RC1 installation:

   1. I have some trouble with sound on my RC1 installation.  Sound does
   work.  But I have 2 sound devices.  One is the on-board HDA sound, and
   another is my Audigy2 ZS card.  Both work in osstest.  But in Phonon, I
   cannot get the sound to output to Audigy2.  Under the "Multimedia" settings
   I have moved the Audigy2 card to the top of the list.  But I cannot get any
   sound output to it.  I can only get sound output to my HDA, is there any way
   to make sound work with my Audigy2 card in KDE?
   2. In "System Settings" -> "Advanced" -> "Samba", the configuration
   screen is read-only.  It should probably ask for administration password
   like when you access it from "Launcher" -> "Applications" -> "Samba
   Manager".
   3. I can't seem to install fonts from "System Settings" -> "Font
   Installer".  When I navigate to the directory with the .otf file in the
   "Add" dialog box, I cannot see the file, hence I cannot install it.
   4. IBus is not quite working properly.  I have added Chinese-PinYin  and
   Chinese-ChewYin input methods in "Preferences".  However, I cannot select
   the ChewYin IME.  The tray icon simply flashes to the ChewYin icon and back
   to the default.  The PinYin IME works, but there is no graphics for the
   icon.  There is also no icons for the language panel under PinYin (see
   attachment).  I was pleasantly surprised that IBus was installed by default,
   but it would be nice if the Qt applications default to using IBus as the IM
   as well.  So far I've only figured out how to get dolphin to use IBus.  I
   have no idea how to do so in Kate.  Also, IIRC, version 1.3 and up of
   ibus-pinyin can toggle between Traditional and Simplified Chinese input,
   however, I do not see such option in the version with RC1.
   5. I was surprised to find out that the thumb buttons on my Logitech G9
   mouse works out of the box.  However, the left and right tilt buttons on the
   wheel were reported as the thumb buttons as well (buttons 8 & 9) in xev.
   6. NTFS file systems cannot be mounted.  Or more precisely, my NTFS
   formatted USB hard disk cannot be mounted in dolphin.  I know this can be
   done using ntfs-3g, but I'm hoping that this is installed and configured by
   default.

Overall, I am quite impressed with PC-BSD 8.1 RC1.  The fit and finish is
much better than the Kubuntu 9.10 installation that is upgraded from Ubuntu
that I was using before I wiped it out for PC-BSD.  Most of the defaults are
sensible and I like the fact that there's custom artwork in the custom
theme.  With the more permissible license that is BSD, the out-of-the-box
experience is much better and practical than the one I experienced with
Ubuntu (Nvidia binary driver installed on first boot, no additional codec
installation to view my video files, printer installation was a breeze).
First impressions are good, and even though I still had some sound problems,
it's nothing compared to the sound problems I had on Linux.

-Bill