[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas
yurkis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 00:31:45 PDT 2010
> Lots of good ideas here and important fixes to improve PC-BSD, however what
> it always comes down to is time and manpower. Obviously if I could fix every
> single thing here in the next few weeks / months / year I would. But that's
> just not realistic at this point, so instead for each major & point release
> I try to identify a few key areas which need improvement and work on those,
> get them done and then move on.
> This is open-source though, so if anybody has a particular key area they
> want to see improved, then by all means get hacking. If enough people take
> on just a single task we can start to make a dent in a lot of these things
> rather quickly. I've just setup our TODO list for 9.0 which is about a year
> out, with some of the big issues I have on my plate to start fixing:
> Feel free to add yourselves to the list with goals to have done for 9 or
> e-mail me if you want to discuss any other specific ideas to work on. If you
> want to work on something FreeBSD specific, like laptop suspend / sleep /
> resume then we can probably point you in the right direction :)
I have some ideas for implementation:
1. Develop application which shows list of computer hardware and possible
shows hardware capability with FreeBSD / PC-BSD. That can be used by user in
LiveCD mode before actually install.
2. Develop small console /ncurses/ tool that can be run from loader menu and
restore bootloader (after windows install for example)
3. Add Kernel modules GUI to system manager.
GUI for load / unload kernel modules and optionally add them to
4. Add sysctl GUI to system manager.
GUI for editing sysctl variables and optionally add that values into
5. Add GUI for ports and packages into application manager
6. Test and possible use full graphical bootloader menu (see
7. Develop kernel module for splash screen with animation / loading progress
8. Wold be great to develop Bluetooth GUI
Now I have things about 'Easy' tasks development but I have not time now and
I have poor Qt experience. So at now it is only ideas.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Testing