[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas

Yuri Momotiuk yurkis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 00:31:45 PDT 2010

> Lots of good ideas here and important fixes to improve PC-BSD, however what
> it always comes down to is time and manpower. Obviously if I could fix every
> single thing here in the next few weeks / months / year I would. But that's
> just not realistic at this point, so instead for each major & point release
> I try to identify a few key areas which need improvement and work on those,
> get them done and then move on.
>
> This is open-source though, so if anybody has a particular key area they
> want to see improved, then by all means get hacking. If enough people take
> on just a single task we can start to make a dent in a lot of these things
> rather quickly. I've just setup our TODO list for 9.0 which is about a year
> out, with some of the big issues I have on my plate to start fixing:
>
> http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-BSD_9.0_TODO
>
> Feel free to add yourselves to the list with goals to have done for 9 or
> e-mail me if you want to discuss any other specific ideas to work on. If you
> want to work on something FreeBSD specific, like laptop suspend / sleep /
> resume then we can probably point you in the right direction :)

I have some ideas for implementation:

Easy tasks:

1. Develop application which shows list of computer hardware and possible
shows hardware capability with FreeBSD / PC-BSD. That can be used by user in
LiveCD mode before actually install.
2. Develop small console /ncurses/ tool that can be run from loader menu and
restore bootloader (after windows install for example)
3. Add Kernel modules GUI to system manager.
    GUI for load / unload kernel modules and optionally add them to
loader.conf
4. Add sysctl GUI to system manager.
    GUI for editing sysctl variables and optionally add  that values into
sysctl.conf

More difficult:

5. Add GUI for ports and packages into application manager
6. Test and possible use full graphical bootloader menu (see
http://wiki.freebsd.org/OliverFromme/BootLoader )

Difficult:
7. Develop kernel module for splash screen with animation / loading progress
support

Also:
8. Wold be great to develop Bluetooth GUI

Now I have things about 'Easy' tasks development but I have not time now and
I have poor Qt experience. So at now it is only ideas.