[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jul 7 13:37:12 PDT 2010

On 07/07/2010 16:28, finid at linuxbsdos.com wrote:
> There will always be the desktop, but at some point, it will, in the
> jargon of evolutionary biology, become a peripheral isolate. The future is
> in mobile devices, and thanks to major players like Google, intel and
> Nokia, it's all gonna revolve around Linux (Android, MeeGo, Linaro and a
> bunch of other spinoffs). Even the traditional desktop, or what remains of
> it, will be touch-capable.
>
> How are we going to evolve?
>
> --
> Fini D.
> http://LinuxBSDos.com

Once I can get my hands on some touch-screen capable hardware I would
love to start implementing touch support. We already have "xvkbd" for
keyboard input, the only real challenge is going to be getting the touch
drivers working. There aren't a ton of touch-screen desktop devices out
there just yet, although the archos 9 looks neat. Its fast enough to run
PC-BSD and may look good with the KDE netbook interface. I agree that we
need to evolve as well, and touch support will probably be an important
feature in the next several years.

http://www.archos.com/products/nb/archos_9/index.html?country=us&lang=en

Who's going to send me one?? :)