[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Wed Jul 7 10:47:53 PDT 2010

On 07/07/2010 12:01 PM, finid at linuxbsdos.com wrote:

>>> I am always serious.  No time for joking around on mailinglists.  But if
>>> such a statement as above is made (and "cannot use a system" for me
>>> equals "is not usable, therefore unusable") I just want to know what
>>> exactly the encountered problems are.
>>>
>>> But that is not the real point here.  I agree there are several issues
>>> regarding the usage of PC-BSD which will/can create problems especially
>>> for end-users (by that I mean newer/less experienced users).
>>>
>>> But:
>>>
>>> - - Are all these problems documented somewhere?  And I am not talking
>>> about a post on a mailinglist here, because it is pretty easy to miss
>>> such reports within all the posts on the list.  Maybe they are all
>>> reported on http://trac.pcbsd.org as feature requests/problem reports?
>>> - - If they are all documented/reported.  Is there enough manpower to
>>> investigate/implement all these changes?  Does the PC-BSD Project even
>>> have the possibility to change/fix all of them?  I think we know the
>>> answer to that questions (unfortunately) ...
>>> - - What is/should be the ultimate goal of PC-BSD?  Making experiencing
>>> "BSD on the desktop" easier?  Or make it the "perfect desktop
>>> experience"?  In reality it is probably the first one, but what many
>>> people would like to see is the second one (again mostly a problem of
>>> available manpower/ressources).
>>>
>> <two cents>
>>
>> I've been reading the posts and didn't want to chime in until now
>> because the common theme
>> I'm seeing running through some of the messages can be translated to:
>> BSD to Windows users
>> is alien because stuff is not where they're used to seeing it. And being
>> a 20+ years Windoze guy,
>> I can understand.
>>

> Arthur,
>
> I don't think that's what this is all about. The gist is lots of stuff
> don't work, or don't work well enough. We do not need to put apps and
> admin tools where Windows users are used to finding them. That's the
> mistake the DE devs (KDE, GNOME) made. Instead of innovating, they chose
> to copy Windows because they were targeting Windows users. Look at what
> Apple did with Mac OS X.
>
> We just need to make stuff that works, and put out a default configuration
> that's intuitive to use.
>
> The interesting part of this is while we are still fixing the traditional
> desktop, the (computing) world is gradually moving away from it. When are
> we going to stat working on something that can be installed on a
> tablet-like device, with touch capabilities? Or does that already exist?
>
> --
> Fini D.
> http://LinuxBSDnews.com

Fini,

Yes, I see you point. If I were inferring that BSD/Linux be contoured
towards Windows folks, GUI or otherwise, that wasn't what I meant. I was
trying to make the analogy of how to get the Linuxes and BSDs to the
point that the average shmoe could be productive to the level of
whatever they are currently using. How do you get adoption of a
different platform from an entrenched platform? To me, *nix has always
been the domain of servers and not average consumer desktop so I
sometimes wonder if it's the square peg in the round hole that's
happening in the *nix world. Again, I'm no expert, it's just what I
perceive.

Yes, a lot of stuff is broken or barely half there. And even what's
there is sometimes butt ugly. Much of the effort in the community is
often free whereas the established commercial OSes out there (Windows /
Mac OS) have huge pools of cash and devs to throw at their problems. Can
you imagine if Linux / BSD had that kind of cash and that amount devs to
innovate and improve upon their respective platform? And let's face it,
commercial apps makers are always going to go where there's money to be
made. Don't forget what happened when Walmart teamed up with Everex back
in 2007.

In some form or another, I feel there's always going to be *some* kind
of desktop interface / GUI to get the job done. It's hard to say if it's
too little to late. The technology will never supersede the user or it
will fail miserably. I don't know that tablet-touch is the way the world
is going just because Apple and some no-count bloggers have deemed it
so. Is it innovative, hardly. It's just another "me too" device for
consumers to buy. And forget the whole 3D-floating-in-the-air GUI
a-la-Avatar thing, not gonna happen. I remember sitting on the toilet 12
years thinking it would be great to get rid of a newspapers / magazines
and have some flat device that connected to the Internet to grab news
while doing #1. Should have patented that one. :-)

Didn't a lot of "touch" code get introduced in xserver 1.7 or 1.8? I'd
guess there's *nix powered touch stuff out there for PC hardware but I
don't follow that news close enough. And hey, Android is Linux based and
does touch. I guess Android OS is coming to vanilla x86/x64 hardware so
perhaps there's some evolution that might occur there. We'll have to see
where the wind blows I guess.

cheers,
Arthur