[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas

finid at linuxbsdos.com finid at linuxbsdos.com
Wed Jul 7 10:01:23 PDT 2010

> On 07/07/2010 4:25 AM, Johann Kois wrote:
>>
>> On 07.07.2010 02:20, Mike Bybee wrote:
>>

>>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Johann Kois<jkois at freebsd.org
>>> <mailto:jkois at freebsd.org>>  wrote:

>>>      On 07.07.2010 01:02, finid at linuxbsdos.com
>>>      <mailto:finid at linuxbsdos.com>  wrote:
>>>      >>>
>>>      >>  I actually like the development tab and use it regularly - I'd
>>>      vote to
>>>      >>  keep it. Realistically very few actual 'end users' use PC-BSD,
>>>      but a lot
>>>      >  of devs do.
>>>      >
>>>      >  Mike, those "end users" are actually waiting, desperately
>>> waiting for
>>>      >  PC-BSD to become a lot more end user-friendly, so that they can
>>>      use it.
>>>      >
>>>      >  --
>>>      >  Fini D.
>>>      >   ___________________________
>>>
>>>      Hm, you want to clarify what makes the system so "totally
>>> unusable" at
>>>      the moment?  So that "the end-users" cannot use it?
>>>

>>>      jkois
>>>
>>>      - --
>>>       Johann Kois
>>>       jkois(at)FreeBSD.org
>>>       FreeBSD Documentation Project
>>>       FreeBSD German Documentation Project - https://doc.bsdgroup.de
>>>

>>> If you mean that seriously, I can provide notes from my most recent
>>> pilot project. If you're being facetious, then I would recommend you go
>>> find a random business person and ask them to use PC-BSD for 2 weeks.
>>>

>> I am always serious.  No time for joking around on mailinglists.  But if
>> such a statement as above is made (and "cannot use a system" for me
>> equals "is not usable, therefore unusable") I just want to know what
>> exactly the encountered problems are.
>>
>> But that is not the real point here.  I agree there are several issues
>> regarding the usage of PC-BSD which will/can create problems especially
>> for end-users (by that I mean newer/less experienced users).
>>
>> But:
>>
>> - - Are all these problems documented somewhere?  And I am not talking
>> about a post on a mailinglist here, because it is pretty easy to miss
>> such reports within all the posts on the list.  Maybe they are all
>> reported on http://trac.pcbsd.org as feature requests/problem reports?
>> - - If they are all documented/reported.  Is there enough manpower to
>> investigate/implement all these changes?  Does the PC-BSD Project even
>> have the possibility to change/fix all of them?  I think we know the
>> answer to that questions (unfortunately) ...
>> - - What is/should be the ultimate goal of PC-BSD?  Making experiencing
>> "BSD on the desktop" easier?  Or make it the "perfect desktop
>> experience"?  In reality it is probably the first one, but what many
>> people would like to see is the second one (again mostly a problem of
>> available manpower/ressources).
> <two cents>

> [...]

Arthur,

I don't think that's what this is all about. The gist is lots of stuff
don't work, or don't work well enough. We do not need to put apps and
admin tools where Windows users are used to finding them. That's the
mistake the DE devs (KDE, GNOME) made. Instead of innovating, they chose
to copy Windows because they were targeting Windows users. Look at what
Apple did with Mac OS X.

We just need to make stuff that works, and put out a default configuration
that's intuitive to use.

The interesting part of this is while we are still fixing the traditional
desktop, the (computing) world is gradually moving away from it. When are
we going to stat working on something that can be installed on a
tablet-like device, with touch capabilities? Or does that already exist?

--
Fini D.
http://LinuxBSDnews.com