[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Wed Jul 7 09:14:48 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu> wrote:

>  On 07/07/2010 10:27 AM, Mike Bybee wrote:
>

> I think you hit some of the issues on the head here - but even with
> open-minded and technical people (like me, who's been on FreeBSD since
> version 2.2.1 at least, and some of our Linux and AIX admins) there are some
> things that are just plain broken. We curse at some of these images and
> releases more than we'd like to admit ;)
>
>  Those things at least can be fixed, we can put our fingers on them. The
> other things that you touched on are perception based, and that is SO much
> harder.
>
>  On the upside, since my doomed pilot I referred to earlier, I've gotten a
> lot of people to start using F/OSS apps on their Windows machines (Chrome,
> FF, Pidgin to name a few) and that *does* help overall.
>

> Mike,
>
> Yes, winning hearts and minds is tough. It's a bit like teaching stick
> shift to a person who's always had an automatic.
>
> I also have implemented the strategy of F/OSS at my university. At current
> count, I have no less than 11 F/OSS apps (Firefox, Seamonkey, WinSCP,
> FileZilla, Paint.NET, JCreator, 7Zip, Tera Term, DoPDF, Audacity, ODF Add-in
> for Office) in our computer labs. They get used which I am happy about and
> some of those are in PC-BSD too which is neat. The more I impart upon the
> students that these are *normal* apps, the more they *become* normal apps.
> Our professors like 'em too which helps to increase their adoption as well.
> If people see these apps on other OS, perhaps a light bulb will go off. It's
> sometimes better to win the battle than the war.
>
> Arthur

I apologize if I'm straying a bit offtopic here, but Portable Apps has
served as a great 'gateway' for me to get people used to using F/OSS apps,
many of which are available on PC-BSD (and work very well for the most
part). We've had great success with getting an Ubuntu 10.4 'emergency image'
rolled out as boot from USB largely due to the fact that they have the same
tools they're used to from Portable Apps (ironically, sometimes they run the
existing portable apps via Wine...). The Checkpoint VPN and NetMeeting
issues are the only things holding that back from being approved as a
regular image, and I'm working hard to resolve those.

I'm trying very hard to get the same sort of 'emergency image' on PC-BSD 8
right now, and I will update the list when I have succeeded.

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee