[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Wed Jul 7 08:54:38 PDT 2010

On 07/07/2010 10:27 AM, Mike Bybee wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu
> <mailto:A-Koziol at neiu.edu>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/07/2010 4:25 AM, Johann Kois wrote:

>         On 07.07.2010 02:20, Mike Bybee wrote:
>

>             On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Johann
>             Kois<jkois at freebsd.org <mailto:jkois at freebsd.org>
>             <mailto:jkois at freebsd.org <mailto:jkois at freebsd.org>>>  wrote:

>                 On 07.07.2010 01:02, finid at linuxbsdos.com
>             <mailto:finid at linuxbsdos.com>
>             <mailto:finid at linuxbsdos.com
>             <mailto:finid at linuxbsdos.com>>  wrote:
>             >>>
>             >>  I actually like the development tab and use it
>             regularly - I'd
>                 vote to
>             >>  keep it. Realistically very few actual 'end users' use
>             PC-BSD,
>                 but a lot
>             >  of devs do.
>             >
>             >  Mike, those "end users" are actually waiting,
>             desperately waiting for
>             >  PC-BSD to become a lot more end user-friendly, so that
>             they can
>                 use it.
>             >
>             >  --
>             >  Fini D.
>             >   ___________________________
>
>                 Hm, you want to clarify what makes the system so
>             "totally unusable" at
>                 the moment?  So that "the end-users" cannot use it?
>

>                 jkois
>
>                 - --
>                  Johann Kois
>                  jkois(at)FreeBSD.org
>                  FreeBSD Documentation Project
>                  FreeBSD German Documentation Project -
>             https://doc.bsdgroup.de
>

>             If you mean that seriously, I can provide notes from my
>             most recent
>             pilot project. If you're being facetious, then I would
>             recommend you go
>             find a random business person and ask them to use PC-BSD
>             for 2 weeks.
>

>         I am always serious.  No time for joking around on
>         mailinglists.  But if
>         such a statement as above is made (and "cannot use a system"
>         for me
>         equals "is not usable, therefore unusable") I just want to
>         know what
>         exactly the encountered problems are.
>
>         But that is not the real point here.  I agree there are
>         several issues
>         regarding the usage of PC-BSD which will/can create problems
>         especially
>         for end-users (by that I mean newer/less experienced users).
>
>         But:
>
>         - - Are all these problems documented somewhere?  And I am not
>         talking
>         about a post on a mailinglist here, because it is pretty easy
>         to miss
>         such reports within all the posts on the list.  Maybe they are all
>         reported on http://trac.pcbsd.org as feature requests/problem
>         reports?
> [...]

Mike,

Yes, winning hearts and minds is tough. It's a bit like teaching stick
shift to a person who's always had an automatic.

I also have implemented the strategy of F/OSS at my university. At
current count, I have no less than 11 F/OSS apps (Firefox, Seamonkey,
WinSCP, FileZilla, Paint.NET, JCreator, 7Zip, Tera Term, DoPDF,
Audacity, ODF Add-in for Office) in our computer labs. They get used
which I am happy about and some of those are in PC-BSD too which is
neat. The more I impart upon the students that these are *normal* apps,
the more they *become* normal apps. Our professors like 'em too which
helps to increase their adoption as well. If people see these apps on
other OS, perhaps a light bulb will go off. It's sometimes better to win
the battle than the war.

Arthur