[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Wed Jul 7 08:27:42 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu> wrote:

> On 07/07/2010 4:25 AM, Johann Kois wrote:

>> On 07.07.2010 02:20, Mike Bybee wrote:
>>

>>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Johann Kois<jkois at freebsd.org
>>> <mailto:jkois at freebsd.org>>  wrote:

>>>     On 07.07.2010 01:02, finid at linuxbsdos.com
>>>     <mailto:finid at linuxbsdos.com>  wrote:
>>>     >>>
>>>     >>  I actually like the development tab and use it regularly - I'd
>>>     vote to
>>>     >>  keep it. Realistically very few actual 'end users' use PC-BSD,
>>>     but a lot
>>>     >  of devs do.
>>>     >
>>>     >  Mike, those "end users" are actually waiting, desperately waiting
>>> for
>>>     >  PC-BSD to become a lot more end user-friendly, so that they can
>>>     use it.
>>>     >
>>>     >  --
>>>     >  Fini D.
>>>     >   ___________________________
>>>
>>>     Hm, you want to clarify what makes the system so "totally unusable"
>>> at
>>>     the moment?  So that "the end-users" cannot use it?
>>>

>>>     jkois
>>>
>>>     - --
>>>      Johann Kois
>>>      jkois(at)FreeBSD.org
>>>      FreeBSD Documentation Project
>>>      FreeBSD German Documentation Project - https://doc.bsdgroup.de
>>>

>>> If you mean that seriously, I can provide notes from my most recent
>>> pilot project. If you're being facetious, then I would recommend you go
>>> find a random business person and ask them to use PC-BSD for 2 weeks.
>>>

>> I am always serious.  No time for joking around on mailinglists.  But if
>> such a statement as above is made (and "cannot use a system" for me
>> equals "is not usable, therefore unusable") I just want to know what
>> exactly the encountered problems are.
>>
>> But that is not the real point here.  I agree there are several issues
>> regarding the usage of PC-BSD which will/can create problems especially
>> for end-users (by that I mean newer/less experienced users).
>>
>> But:
>>
>> - - Are all these problems documented somewhere?  And I am not talking
>> about a post on a mailinglist here, because it is pretty easy to miss
>> such reports within all the posts on the list.  Maybe they are all
>> reported on http://trac.pcbsd.org as feature requests/problem reports?
>> - - If they are all documented/reported.  Is there enough manpower to
>> investigate/implement all these changes?  Does the PC-BSD Project even
>> have the possibility to change/fix all of them?  I think we know the
>> answer to that questions (unfortunately) ...
>> - - What is/should be the ultimate goal of PC-BSD?  Making experiencing
>> "BSD on the desktop" easier?  Or make it the "perfect desktop
>> experience"?  In reality it is probably the first one, but what many
>> people would like to see is the second one (again mostly a problem of
>> available manpower/ressources).
>>
> <two cents>

> [...]

I think you hit some of the issues on the head here - but even with
open-minded and technical people (like me, who's been on FreeBSD since
version 2.2.1 at least, and some of our Linux and AIX admins) there are some
things that are just plain broken. We curse at some of these images and
releases more than we'd like to admit ;)

Those things at least can be fixed, we can put our fingers on them. The
other things that you touched on are perception based, and that is SO much
harder.

On the upside, since my doomed pilot I referred to earlier, I've gotten a
lot of people to start using F/OSS apps on their Windows machines (Chrome,
FF, Pidgin to name a few) and that *does* help overall.

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee