[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Wed Jul 7 07:27:23 PDT 2010

> - generally very stable, though KDE crashed twice, but that could be
> due to the motherboard (Dell Optiplex GX620 with integrated Intel
> graphics).

Gerard,

The Intel graphics driver is probably the culprit. Even on my Dell
Optiplex 960 abuse box I was able to crash KDE with RC1. Sadly there
hasn't been a bump to the Intel driver in eons because of KMS and DRM
work that Intel did to the 2.8.0 (and up) driver. That's stuff that's
currently only benefiting the Linux people in the newer distros using
the more current Intel driver from 2.8.0 onward. The KMS and DRM stuff
hasn't yet made it's was to BSD either so those of use with Intel IGPs
are a bit stuck until the driver gets updated or KMS/DRM work to take
advantage of the 2.8.0 or newer driver features gets worked into 8.2/9.0.

Arthur