[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jul 7 07:13:25 PDT 2010

On 07/06/2010 17:34, Gerard van Essen wrote:
> I've tested RC1 and here's some feedback
>
> - generally very stable, though KDE crashed twice, but that could be
> due to the motherboard (Dell Optiplex GX620 with integrated Intel
> graphics).

Did you get an error / message as to what specifically crashed in KDE?
Plasma? Big crashes like that I like to debug so we can determine whats
really at fault :)

> - KDE doesn't seem to be as responsive as Kubuntu 10.04 on the same
> spec machine, but KDE has always been slightly slower on PC-BSD/FreeBSD

I've made some other adjustments to KDE 4.4.5 for 8.1, which speed it up
a bit further here / use less CPU, might be closer to Linux now :)

> - in the keyboard section of the installer, the keyboards in the
> preferred layout list are not in alphabetic order; most are, apart
> from the bottom 9.

I'll take a look at that, see whats going on. I think that list gets
grabbed directly from xorg, so it may be something in their format which
is out of whack.

> - should we not have just one "localisation" 'tab' in the Installer?
> Currently there's a step for language, keyboard and time. These can be
> easily be consolidated in a "localisation" section. This will reduce
> the number of steps and clicks to install PC-BSD.

Good idea, but it won't make it into 8.1 :) I've added that idea to my
TODO for 9.0 though.

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-BSD_9.0_TODO

> - in the main menu (under applications) there's a "development" menu.
> Since PC-BSD is geared towards everyday PC users, I doubt whether many
> will ever use any of the applications in there. These can/should be
> installed by PBI

Answered this in another thread, should be fixed for 9 as well.

> What do you think?
>
> Gerard
> www.freebsdnews.net <http://www.freebsdnews.net>

Thanks for the list!!