[PC-BSD Testing] KDE Development PBI

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jul 7 06:19:15 PDT 2010

On 07/06/2010 18:33, James T. Nixon III wrote:
>> it. Realistically very few actual 'end users' use PC-BSD, but a lot
>> of devs
>> do.
> I actually like the development tab and use it regularly - I'd vote to
> keep
>
> I agree with Gerard. It'd be nice to clean up the menu by creating a
> Development PBI or even an Educational PBI...
>
> Also, I'm going to disagree with you Mike.  iXsystems has several
> developers on staff, but everyone here runs PC-BSD.  I know Fabri's
> company has a bunch of PC-BSD users as well.  I think the point is to
> make the optional components, optional.  PC-BSD *is* geared towards
> 'users', let's keep it that way.
>
> --james

A KDE development PBI / Educational PBI and others aren't really
feasible at the moment. Those particular packages are not really
"stand-alone" applications, rather a component of the KDE desktop
itself, and as such don't lend themselves towards being packaged
self-contained.

I've got it on my list for 9.0 to add a way to manipulate those
particular components during and after the installation, but its going
to be a non-trivial piece of work, otherwise it would be in 8 :)

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-BSD_9.0_TODO

In the meantime you can simple run "pkg_create" to create an archive of
kdedevel-*, and then "pkg_delete" to remove it if you feel so inclined.