[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas

Johann Kois jkois at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 7 02:25:16 PDT 2010

On 07.07.2010 02:20, Mike Bybee wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Johann Kois <jkois at freebsd.org
> <mailto:jkois at freebsd.org>> wrote:

>     On 07.07.2010 01:02, finid at linuxbsdos.com
>     <mailto:finid at linuxbsdos.com> wrote:
>     >>>
>     >> I actually like the development tab and use it regularly - I'd
>     vote to
>     >> keep it. Realistically very few actual 'end users' use PC-BSD,
>     but a lot
>     > of devs do.
>     >
>     > Mike, those "end users" are actually waiting, desperately waiting for
>     > PC-BSD to become a lot more end user-friendly, so that they can
>     use it.
>     >
>     > --
>     > Fini D.
>     >  ___________________________
>
>     Hm, you want to clarify what makes the system so "totally unusable" at
>     the moment?  So that "the end-users" cannot use it?
>

>     jkois
>
>     - --
>      Johann Kois
>      jkois(at)FreeBSD.org
>      FreeBSD Documentation Project
>      FreeBSD German Documentation Project - https://doc.bsdgroup.de
>

> If you mean that seriously, I can provide notes from my most recent
> pilot project. If you're being facetious, then I would recommend you go
> find a random business person and ask them to use PC-BSD for 2 weeks.

I am always serious.  No time for joking around on mailinglists.  But if
such a statement as above is made (and "cannot use a system" for me
equals "is not usable, therefore unusable") I just want to know what
exactly the encountered problems are.

But that is not the real point here.  I agree there are several issues
regarding the usage of PC-BSD which will/can create problems especially
for end-users (by that I mean newer/less experienced users).

But:

- - Are all these problems documented somewhere?  And I am not talking
about a post on a mailinglist here, because it is pretty easy to miss
such reports within all the posts on the list.  Maybe they are all
reported on http://trac.pcbsd.org as feature requests/problem reports?
- - If they are all documented/reported.  Is there enough manpower to
investigate/implement all these changes?  Does the PC-BSD Project even
have the possibility to change/fix all of them?  I think we know the
answer to that questions (unfortunately) ...
- - What is/should be the ultimate goal of PC-BSD?  Making experiencing
"BSD on the desktop" easier?  Or make it the "perfect desktop
experience"?  In reality it is probably the first one, but what many
people would like to see is the second one (again mostly a problem of
available manpower/ressources).

jkois

- --