[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas

Alexander Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Tue Jul 6 23:56:14 PDT 2010

  07.07.2010 3:20, Mike Bybee пишет:

> [...]
>     >> I actually like the development tab and use it regularly - I'd
>     vote to
>     >> keep it. Realistically very few actual 'end users' use PC-BSD,
>     but a lot
>     > of devs do.
>     >
>     > Mike, those "end users" are actually waiting, desperately
>     waiting for
>     > PC-BSD to become a lot more end user-friendly, so that they can
>     use it.
>     >
>     > --
>     > Fini D.
>     >  ___________________________
>
>     Hm, you want to clarify what makes the system so "totally unusable" at
>     the moment?  So that "the end-users" cannot use it?
>

>     jkois
>
>     - --
>      Johann Kois
>      jkois(at)FreeBSD.org
>      FreeBSD Documentation Project
>      FreeBSD German Documentation Project - https://doc.bsdgroup.de
>

> If you mean that seriously, I can provide notes from my most recent
> pilot project. If you're being facetious, then I would recommend you
> go find a random business person and ask them to use PC-BSD for 2 weeks.
>
> It's very difficult to get "basic" things working like OCS (even with
> Pidgin and SIPE), NetMeeting (yes, many places still use this as the
> desktop sharing utility), CheckPoint VPN, easy multi-screen desktop
> setup for presentations, laptop sleep/hibernation mode (especially
> when users are accustomed to simply slapping their laptops closed when
> walking from meeting to meeting), working with their iPhones (possible
> but tricky), playing CDs on their machines - the list goes on and on.
> Sharepoint document collaboration 'kind of' works. You end up having
> to check out and check in, you can't just click and edit. Seems minor
> to me, but I assure you people were very annoyed by this. Intel
> Landesk compatibility.
>
> PC-BSD is a fantastic OS, and many of these issues aren't PC-BSD's
> issues to resolve. They *are* issues that a user has to confront,
> however. The screen corruption and sleep issues alone are enough to
> kill it 99% of the time, and there's not much we can do to fix that.
> Today's modern work environment is mostly laptops - at my company,
> over 60,000 of them worldwide from a variety of vendors running a huge
> pile of software and largely XP or Windows Vista. Many of these users
> are technical/engineering types. Remarkably enough, they have the
> *least* patience for a machine that doesn't work properly (AutoCAD not
> being super snappy, for example) and they will plug in the weirdest
> things.
>
> 2 weeks of pilot, 20 users, PC-BSD (with almost every app they
> requested, save netmeeting and VPN) score 4/10 for usability. Some of
> these users had heard of Linux, some didn't even know what OS their
> machine ran (Word and Outlook were the most popular answers in the group).

Yes, currently PC-BSD not for any user. 99% of user requirements can be
met, but there is "that" program, which is inevitable.
Most stop-factors for average users IMHO is:

1. Pretty long boot time (OMG, is this ever boots?... normal reaction
from user) -> FreeBSD issue.
2. Simple reset (power blackout, laptop battery death, etc) produce even
more longer boot time (fsck...) -> FS issue. Could be partially solved
with making some parts of OS placed at read-only partititon, and create
some tricks for updating, etc.... but really UFS should be upgraded
instead in some far future.
3. No file extension bindings, which works in every program. (It's 2010
year, WHY I can't simply click by *.doc in for example ThunderBird (or
in FF, Opera, etc) and OpenOffice will open this file? Why I can't set
my prefered browser as default browser, and click links in kopete,
pidgin, skype etc, and they all will open as expected, and not in
konqueror/firefox/randomBrowser/etc?..   5(!!!) years there is MKV
format, and no file binding in all programs... ) -> Configuration issue,
pretty much of work.
4. "Where is my C: ?... Where is my flash I plugged in?" -> Dolphin
should have similar to Gnome Special place, like "My PC", definetely; ->
KDE issue
5. Why I drag this there and some weird "Plasma" crashed? -> no comments
6. Fonts aren't pretty -> not all sizes, not all languages, not all
screen-resolutions looks great. -> large amount of configuration
7. Office people mostly need print it, Scan it, send it, fax - rename
it, etc. So scanners, printers should be easily configured, which isn't
so easy ATM. -> all Unixes problem;
8. Laptops - Hibernate/Sleep/Multimedia buttons -> FreeBSD issue;
9. Bigger than in MSW latency when switching programs with Alt-Tab.
(Notable not only by light-speed hackers, but also by users)
10. Flash played with lags -> not our problem, but users complains;
11. Programs launch time is bigger than in MSW. About few seconds
against <1 sec. -> FreeBSD/KDE/X/LD issue ?...

And of course there is more.