[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Tue Jul 6 16:18:24 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:02 PM, <finid at linuxbsdos.com> wrote:

> > On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Gerard van Essen
> > <gvanessen at gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> I've tested RC1 and here's some feedback
> >>
> >> - generally very stable, though KDE crashed twice, but that could be due
> >> the motherboard (Dell Optiplex GX620 with integrated Intel graphics).
> >>
> >> - KDE doesn't seem to be as responsive as Kubuntu 10.04 on the same spec
> >> machine, but KDE has always been slightly slower on PC-BSD/FreeBSD
> >>
> >> - in the keyboard section of the installer, the keyboards in the
> >> preferred
> >> layout list are not in alphabetic order; most are, apart from the bottom
> >> 9.
> >>
> >> - should we not have just one "localisation" 'tab' in the Installer?
> >> Currently there's a step for language, keyboard and time. These can be
> >> easily be consolidated in a "localisation" section. This will reduce the
> >> number of steps and clicks to install PC-BSD.
> >>
> >> - in the main menu (under applications) there's a "development" menu.
> >> Since
> >> PC-BSD is geared towards everyday PC users, I doubt whether many will
> >> ever
> >> use any of the applications in there. These can/should be installed by
> >> PBI.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >>
> >> Gerard
> >> www.freebsdnews.net

> > I actually like the development tab and use it regularly - I'd vote to
> > keep it. Realistically very few actual 'end users' use PC-BSD, but a lot
> of devs do.
>
> Mike, those "end users" are actually waiting, desperately waiting for
> PC-BSD to become a lot more end user-friendly, so that they can use it.
>
> --
> Fini D.
>  ___________________________

Ha! Me too - I'd like it to handle my USB harddrive, for one :D
It's still the most user friendly BSD out there, but my goodness we have a
long way to go to even approach the 'less friendly' Linux distros. I have
done several pilots with PC-BSD, and they usually go pretty well up to a
point - I think we all know that point.

I'd like to keep the dev tab, but I also know perfectly well how to
re-enable it, so it's not a huge deal for me.

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee