[PC-BSD Testing] KDE Development PBI

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Tue Jul 6 15:50:38 PDT 2010


On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 3:33 PM, James T. Nixon III <james at ixsystems.com>wrote:

> On 07/06/2010 15:10, testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org wrote:
>
>> Send Testing mailing list submissions to
>>        testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>>
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>        http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>        testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org
>>
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>        testing-owner at lists.pcbsd.org
>>
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of Testing digest..."
>>
>>
>> Today's Topics:
>>
>>    1. Re: Testing Digest, Vol 42, Issue 6 (Ian Robinson)
>>    2. PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas (Gerard van Essen)
>>    3. Re: PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas (Mike Bybee)
>>    4. Re: PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas (Jeff)
>>    5. Re: PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas (Arthur Koziol)
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 15:20:21 -0400
>> From: Ian Robinson<fitchkendall at gmail.com>
>> To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] Testing Digest, Vol 42, Issue 6
>> Message-ID:
>>        <AANLkTimHFEgjLX6fWfVKlv40TosPk1zKSN12wLXfiPIH at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 3:00 PM,<testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org>  wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> Its sounding like 8.1 will be rolled this weekend if it sticks to
>>> schedule. Assuming that's the case, we will be going straight to
>>> 8.1-Release the following week. Our base hasn't changed a whole lot from
>>> RC1, just minor bugfixes at this point.
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kris Moore
>>> PC-BSD Software
>>> iXsystems
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> Yea!
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL:<
>> http://lists.pcbsd.org/pipermail/testing/attachments/20100706/45fa3cc4/attachment-0001.html
>> >
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 21:34:17 +0000
>> From: Gerard van Essen<gvanessen at gmail.com>
>> To: PC-BSD Testing list<testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
>> Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas
>> Message-ID:
>>        <AANLkTimwWtBArKtMuoEw1Du5cgolf3PU6g91xaWylY71 at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>>
>> I've tested RC1 and here's some feedback
>>
>> - generally very stable, though KDE crashed twice, but that could be due
>> to
>> the motherboard (Dell Optiplex GX620 with integrated Intel graphics).
>>
>> - KDE doesn't seem to be as responsive as Kubuntu 10.04 on the same spec
>> machine, but KDE has always been slightly slower on PC-BSD/FreeBSD
>>
>> - in the keyboard section of the installer, the keyboards in the preferred
>> layout list are not in alphabetic order; most are, apart from the bottom
>> 9.
>>
>> - should we not have just one "localisation" 'tab' in the Installer?
>> Currently there's a step for language, keyboard and time. These can be
>> easily be consolidated in a "localisation" section. This will reduce the
>> number of steps and clicks to install PC-BSD.
>>
>> - in the main menu (under applications) there's a "development" menu.
>> Since
>> PC-BSD is geared towards everyday PC users, I doubt whether many will ever
>> use any of the applications in there. These can/should be installed by
>> PBI.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Gerard
>> www.freebsdnews.net
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL:<
>> http://lists.pcbsd.org/pipermail/testing/attachments/20100706/011b6304/attachment-0001.html
>> >
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 14:51:04 -0700
>> From: Mike Bybee<mbybee at dometrilogy.com>
>> To: PC-BSD Testing list<testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
>> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas
>> Message-ID:
>>        <AANLkTimmCecOLwg_QWgGF8AOhqnnOI3cfPz4dk1LvLRd at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Gerard van Essen<gvanessen at gmail.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> I've tested RC1 and here's some feedback
>>>
>>> - generally very stable, though KDE crashed twice, but that could be due
>>> to
>>> the motherboard (Dell Optiplex GX620 with integrated Intel graphics).
>>>
>>> - KDE doesn't seem to be as responsive as Kubuntu 10.04 on the same spec
>>> machine, but KDE has always been slightly slower on PC-BSD/FreeBSD
>>>
>>> - in the keyboard section of the installer, the keyboards in the
>>> preferred
>>> layout list are not in alphabetic order; most are, apart from the bottom
>>> 9.
>>>
>>> - should we not have just one "localisation" 'tab' in the Installer?
>>> Currently there's a step for language, keyboard and time. These can be
>>> easily be consolidated in a "localisation" section. This will reduce the
>>> number of steps and clicks to install PC-BSD.
>>>
>>> - in the main menu (under applications) there's a "development" menu.
>>> Since
>>> PC-BSD is geared towards everyday PC users, I doubt whether many will
>>> ever
>>> use any of the applications in there. These can/should be installed by
>>> PBI.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Gerard
>>> www.freebsdnews.net
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Testing mailing list
>>> Testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>>> http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> I actually like the development tab and use it regularly - I'd vote to
>> keep
>> it. Realistically very few actual 'end users' use PC-BSD, but a lot of
>> devs
>> do.
>>
>>
>
> I agree with Gerard. It'd be nice to clean up the menu by creating a
> Development PBI or even an Educational PBI...
>
> Also, I'm going to disagree with you Mike.  iXsystems has several
> developers on staff, but everyone here runs PC-BSD.  I know Fabri's company
> has a bunch of PC-BSD users as well.  I think the point is to make the
> optional components, optional.  PC-BSD *is* geared towards 'users', let's
> keep it that way.
>
> --james
> _______________________________________________
> Testing mailing list
> Testing at lists.pcbsd.org
> http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing
>
>
A lively diagreement is a wonderful thing :)
I'm glad there are some shops using it that way

-- 
Thanks,
Mike Bybee
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.pcbsd.org/pipermail/testing/attachments/20100706/416bf1b1/attachment.html>


More information about the Testing mailing list