[PC-BSD Testing] KDE Development PBI

James T. Nixon III james at ixsystems.com
Tue Jul 6 15:33:31 PDT 2010


On 07/06/2010 15:10, testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org wrote:
> Send Testing mailing list submissions to
> 	testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	testing-owner at lists.pcbsd.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Testing digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>     1. Re: Testing Digest, Vol 42, Issue 6 (Ian Robinson)
>     2. PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas (Gerard van Essen)
>     3. Re: PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas (Mike Bybee)
>     4. Re: PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas (Jeff)
>     5. Re: PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas (Arthur Koziol)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 15:20:21 -0400
> From: Ian Robinson<fitchkendall at gmail.com>
> To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] Testing Digest, Vol 42, Issue 6
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTimHFEgjLX6fWfVKlv40TosPk1zKSN12wLXfiPIH at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 3:00 PM,<testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org>  wrote:
>
>    
>> Its sounding like 8.1 will be rolled this weekend if it sticks to
>> schedule. Assuming that's the case, we will be going straight to
>> 8.1-Release the following week. Our base hasn't changed a whole lot from
>> RC1, just minor bugfixes at this point.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Kris Moore
>> PC-BSD Software
>> iXsystems
>>      
>
>
> Yea!
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:<http://lists.pcbsd.org/pipermail/testing/attachments/20100706/45fa3cc4/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 21:34:17 +0000
> From: Gerard van Essen<gvanessen at gmail.com>
> To: PC-BSD Testing list<testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
> Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTimwWtBArKtMuoEw1Du5cgolf3PU6g91xaWylY71 at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> I've tested RC1 and here's some feedback
>
> - generally very stable, though KDE crashed twice, but that could be due to
> the motherboard (Dell Optiplex GX620 with integrated Intel graphics).
>
> - KDE doesn't seem to be as responsive as Kubuntu 10.04 on the same spec
> machine, but KDE has always been slightly slower on PC-BSD/FreeBSD
>
> - in the keyboard section of the installer, the keyboards in the preferred
> layout list are not in alphabetic order; most are, apart from the bottom 9.
>
> - should we not have just one "localisation" 'tab' in the Installer?
> Currently there's a step for language, keyboard and time. These can be
> easily be consolidated in a "localisation" section. This will reduce the
> number of steps and clicks to install PC-BSD.
>
> - in the main menu (under applications) there's a "development" menu. Since
> PC-BSD is geared towards everyday PC users, I doubt whether many will ever
> use any of the applications in there. These can/should be installed by PBI.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Gerard
> www.freebsdnews.net
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:<http://lists.pcbsd.org/pipermail/testing/attachments/20100706/011b6304/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 14:51:04 -0700
> From: Mike Bybee<mbybee at dometrilogy.com>
> To: PC-BSD Testing list<testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTimmCecOLwg_QWgGF8AOhqnnOI3cfPz4dk1LvLRd at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Gerard van Essen<gvanessen at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>    
>> I've tested RC1 and here's some feedback
>>
>> - generally very stable, though KDE crashed twice, but that could be due to
>> the motherboard (Dell Optiplex GX620 with integrated Intel graphics).
>>
>> - KDE doesn't seem to be as responsive as Kubuntu 10.04 on the same spec
>> machine, but KDE has always been slightly slower on PC-BSD/FreeBSD
>>
>> - in the keyboard section of the installer, the keyboards in the preferred
>> layout list are not in alphabetic order; most are, apart from the bottom 9.
>>
>> - should we not have just one "localisation" 'tab' in the Installer?
>> Currently there's a step for language, keyboard and time. These can be
>> easily be consolidated in a "localisation" section. This will reduce the
>> number of steps and clicks to install PC-BSD.
>>
>> - in the main menu (under applications) there's a "development" menu. Since
>> PC-BSD is geared towards everyday PC users, I doubt whether many will ever
>> use any of the applications in there. These can/should be installed by PBI.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Gerard
>> www.freebsdnews.net
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Testing mailing list
>> Testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>> http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing
>>
>>
>>      
> I actually like the development tab and use it regularly - I'd vote to keep
> it. Realistically very few actual 'end users' use PC-BSD, but a lot of devs
> do.
>    

I agree with Gerard. It'd be nice to clean up the menu by creating a 
Development PBI or even an Educational PBI...

Also, I'm going to disagree with you Mike.  iXsystems has several 
developers on staff, but everyone here runs PC-BSD.  I know Fabri's 
company has a bunch of PC-BSD users as well.  I think the point is to 
make the optional components, optional.  PC-BSD *is* geared towards 
'users', let's keep it that way.

--james


More information about the Testing mailing list