[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 RC1 - thoughts and ideas

Gerard van Essen gvanessen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 14:34:17 PDT 2010

I've tested RC1 and here's some feedback

- generally very stable, though KDE crashed twice, but that could be due to
the motherboard (Dell Optiplex GX620 with integrated Intel graphics).

- KDE doesn't seem to be as responsive as Kubuntu 10.04 on the same spec
machine, but KDE has always been slightly slower on PC-BSD/FreeBSD

- in the keyboard section of the installer, the keyboards in the preferred
layout list are not in alphabetic order; most are, apart from the bottom 9.

- should we not have just one "localisation" 'tab' in the Installer?
Currently there's a step for language, keyboard and time. These can be
easily be consolidated in a "localisation" section. This will reduce the
number of steps and clicks to install PC-BSD.

- in the main menu (under applications) there's a "development" menu. Since
PC-BSD is geared towards everyday PC users, I doubt whether many will ever
use any of the applications in there. These can/should be installed by PBI.

What do you think?

Gerard
www.freebsdnews.net