[PC-BSD Testing] Boot Only Install Problems

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 13:30:32 PST 2010

Installing from PCBSD 8.0-RC-x64 "Boot Only" CD Image failed.

==================
TRY #1 Installling from "Boot Only" CD Image
==================

Upgrade -- Via Internet -- AUTO-DHCP

Defect #1 -- You cannot select "Internet"

Defect #2 -- You can click inside and blacken the select-circle as if to
indicate that a selection has been made.  It has not.  You must also click
the label "Install from Specificed Server" to make it work.

Defect #3 -- User Error through typing a leading "/" in the "Select
Directory" box

The target was ftp://mirrors.isc.org/pub/pcbsd/8.0-RC/amd64/

Selected FTP
Selected URL:    mirrors.isc.org
Selected Directory:     /pub/pcbsd/8.0-RC/amd64

Continued with the install configuration, and then noticed the double slash
("//") in the middle of the reported path (i.e.,
ftp://mirrors.isc.org//pub/pcbsd/8.0-RC/amd64/ ),

Defect #4 Going Back Problems. -- I tried to go back.  While the installer
does let you go back a couple of steps, but it did not let me reset the
directory path.  That could have been, as I discovered later, that it is
sometimes the case that the  selection window hides behind the main
installer window.

I could go forward again.  However, when you go forward again, the installer
routine no longer reports the ftp path.

Well, after going forward, the outcome was not pretty because:

* The installer "cleans up" (i.e. removes the old installation)
* The installer begins the installation
* The installer cannot find the install source directories (over ftp)
* The installer immediately reports "The installer encountered an error and
has been halted."

* The data in /home/<User_Name> only appeared to be intact, since you could
open an Xterm window, mount the /home directory at /mnt/home and list the
files.
* A reboot to the "original" installation fails as no kernel will load (no
surprise).
* But I could start PCBSD in the console mode, mount /home/<user_name> and
see all my data files.

Defect # 5  -- The steps to send an installation error report to my email
failed to deliver it to my email, altlhough it reported that it had sent it.

==================
Try #2 -- Attempted to do an Upgrade Install from "Boot Only" CD after the
previous failure.
==================

I correctly named the directory by omitting the leading "/"
Began the upgrade but it failed, probably because it does not see a system
to upgrade.

==================
Try #3 -- Fresh Install from "Boot Only" CD
==================

Started the install routine OK, reached the point where it began to download
from mirrors.isc.org website, and then failed.  Likewise, the attempt to
send an email message failed as before.

==================
Instructions Needed for Network Install Using "Boot Only" CD

The PCBSD Guide does not have instructions for using the Boot Only CD.

There is good picture-based installation advice for "Boot Only" at
http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Unix/BSD/FreeBSD/Q_24389832.htm   (Note
-- you have to scroll almost all the way down past the advertising crap to
see the pictures)  The pictures are from a previous installer (PCBSD 7.x),
but clearly illustrate the steps.  Something like this would be a great
addition to the PCBSD User Guide

Ian Robinson