[PC-BSD Testing] no download button for gnome PBI?

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Thu Jan 14 12:11:27 PST 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Matt Olander <matt at ixsystems.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi at gmx.de>
> wrote:
> > With all the mentioning of Gnome... is that like a completely supported
> > alternative to using KDE on PC-BSD? Can it be installed without
> installing
> > KDE at all? Did you guys write some custom panels for Gnome as well? I've
> > heard that PC-BSD has some custom configuration panels for KDE, but it's
> > been a while since I may have read that. ;-)
>
> Not exactly. We ship with KDE/Fluxbox by default and all of our tools
> are qt based. Since Gnome is gtk, it's a lot more difficult for us to
> integrate many of the cool things that make PC-BSD worthwhile.
> However, that said, it *is* a FreeBSD system, so any window manager
> can be run but we can only focus our developer efforts on a couple,
> and we prefer they are qt-friendly :)
>
> best,
> -matt

This is what I'm hoping to help with - I'm a Gnome/WindowMaker fan, so I
would like to get my PBI-foo strong enough to get a fully functional Gnome
PBI out there, as well as a WM PBI. It's not in the scope of the official
project, but I think that as a volunteer-based effort it's in the theme :D

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee