[PC-BSD Testing] no download button for gnome PBI?

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Thu Jan 14 11:53:03 PST 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi at gmx.de> wrote:
> With all the mentioning of Gnome... is that like a completely supported
> alternative to using KDE on PC-BSD? Can it be installed without installing
> KDE at all? Did you guys write some custom panels for Gnome as well? I've
> heard that PC-BSD has some custom configuration panels for KDE, but it's
> been a while since I may have read that. ;-)

Not exactly. We ship with KDE/Fluxbox by default and all of our tools
are qt based. Since Gnome is gtk, it's a lot more difficult for us to
integrate many of the cool things that make PC-BSD worthwhile.
However, that said, it *is* a FreeBSD system, so any window manager
can be run but we can only focus our developer efforts on a couple,
and we prefer they are qt-friendly :)

best,
-matt